1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN and lihgtning

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vaatle, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vaatle

Vaatle Thread Starter

Please forgive me my stupid questions, but here it goes:

Two computers (A, B) are sharing internet. LAN cable is buried between two houses. Lightning came out of nowhere and fried one of the computers (A) totally (motherboard, processor etc.) and the other computers (B) network card. A new computer was bought (new "A") and when connecting LAN cable with it the little light in the computers LAN socket doesn`t light up and the computer says cable is unplugged. The router is OK and the cable that was in computer B works (connects Internet with a laptop). The cable that was in computer "A" doesn`t work. Is it possible, that the router is OK, but the cable itself burned somehow? - if so, then is it possible, that it fries from the ends of the cable, so that switching the ends and cables connectors may work or is the only way to start digging the cable from the ground? I guess it should be tested with somekind of equipment, but hypothetically?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What lightning did when it followed the wire is hard to predict. It would not be contained to the wire by the insulation for sure, but leak out into the ground as well as sending a large surge through the remaining wire. It is very likely that the conductors were burned. And that could be at any location along the span. Running a wire along the top of the ground and testing continuity through the wire is the only way to know if all the conductors are fried, or just a couple. But chances are that the wire will need to be replaced entirely.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I would suggest, with a cable crimping tool, to cut off both ends. Twist two pair together with the bare wire twisted together. This will leave you with 4 twisted together pairs. Note the color pair groupings. Go to the other house and test the continuity of each set according to the color pair groupings. If OK then recut and recrimp with new rj45 ends per 568 B specs or as a crossover.

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

4. Vaatle

Vaatle Thread Starter

Thanks.
    Do I understand it correctly: if the problem would be in router`s configuration, then the A network card`s green light should still light up when I connect the cable... No light means no connection at all, no matter what`s the configuration of the router? I mean, maybe the router doesn`t like new computers network card:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice