LAN and VLAN--which one's for me?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I have a four-port router with all its ports used at present. I want to add an 8-port switch; but, I am confused about one of the specifications listed at NewEgg on the switch. It says:

VLAN Support: No

I intend to add this switch by connecting it to the router. Is there any reason it will not work?

And, what do they mean by this VLAN Support: No?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
VLAN is Virtual Local Area Network. It's to break up the switch and making extra networks (Virtual networks) on the switch. What you posted indicates that the switch in question does not support VLAN. I don't think you need the VLAN in your case. All you need is a straight through cable for your router to the switch.

Alex Ethridge

I was leaning toward being able to use it for my purpose; but, this is the first time I noticed this VLAN Support: No in the description and I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

In the near future, I'm gonna have to study up on this VLAN thing so I can understand a little better. You saved me from having to do it right now and that is a big help as I am in the middle of a very time-consuming data recovery that has to be delivered in the AM.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
(y)

It's very useful if you have a bunch of computers that you want to split up into smaller network, plus helps out with data collisions too. I guess it will all depend on what you want. But as far as I know that means it cannot support VLAN.

Good luck with your data recovery.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Most small SOHO switches probably don't support VLAN, that would be more for managed switches.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online