1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN but no internet - please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MEuser, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MEuser

MEuser Thread Starter

It’s a long story… so here goes. I have 4 computers on a LAN using Level One Homeplug adapters and USR MAXg ADSL Gateway router – all set to automatic configuration and operating Windows XP Home edition, all were working just fine. All of a sudden two of them developed “limited or not connectivity” (yellow triangle) and could not access the internet. After using the “repair” function in the LAN status, one of them was repaired and is now OK. I could not get the other one back to normal for a long time and trying many different settings (manual configuration would not work either) so I re-formatted the drive and re-installed Windows. Now I do have a connection and the IP address is DHCP assigned – I have done a ping test with the gateway and everything looks fine, but I just cannot access the internet. I get the message “website found, waiting for a reply” but the screen just stays blank until “unable to access internet page” comes up.
    On device manager page, I get a yellow triangle under “network controller” but this only appears when I have a USR wireless modem installed which is not being used and is normally disabled. When the wireless card is removed from the motherboard there is no “network controller” and associated yellow triangle.

After following some of the advice seen on this forum I did a ping test with yahoo.com and it was OK and then a test with address 216.109.118.71 (not sure if this test would be relevant in my situation) and that one failed.

Ipconfig /all came up with the following:

Host name …. : Sam
    Primary DNS suffix ….:
    Node Type …. : unknown
    IP Router enabled …. : no
    WNS Proxy enabled …. : no

The computer is FIC VG31 D33007 and the “network controller” device used is Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier for which I have re-installed the software (realtek RTL 8100 (B) L) but this seems to have made not difference at all.

Hope im not boring you all and hope there is someone out there who can help me.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So to get to the bottom line here, on the one computer which still has a problem -- you have no network controller showing in the Device Manager unless you have the wireless connected?

Yet you installed the drivers? Not sure how you could have done that.

Since I assume this is an onboard controller which is not even being detected -- then the problem would have to be at the motherboard/BIOS level.

These things could be disabled if you were installing a PCi network card (which you may have to do).

Check the BIOS settings to see if it is there and enabled. Try resetting the BIOS -- perhaps by shorting the jumper or removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two.

If after that no onboard network controller is detected and showing in the Device Manager -- I'd just suggest you are going to have to install a Network card.

3. MEuser

MEuser Thread Starter

thanks for your response - i have reset the BIOS and it has found new hardware which was the "SiS 900 based PCI Fast Ethernet adapter" for which i loaded the drivers and it is now functioning as it should. The problem is that i do not use it - it is normally disabled as i use a USB home adapter which uses the house electrical system to send/recieve the data. So after the BIOS reset, with the exception of the above, everything is just the same as before?

Device manager still shows "network controller" without a driver - i thought that by installing Realtek RTL 8100 (B) L which i think is a built in Ethernet 10/100 LAN Supplier would sort out the network controller driver problem - but it didn't and i'm back at square one??

really all very confusing as to how these things happen - from working perfectly one day to nothing the next without any changes being made?

sorry for the run-a-round - still hope you can help me
    Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "really all very confusing as to how these things happen - from working perfectly one day to nothing the next without any changes being made?"

Enough to drive a person crazy! I've been having that trouble all my life with electric light bulbs. A bulb will be working just fine one day, turn it off, come back the next day and turn it on and NOTHING--just darkness. How can that happen? OK, this was just a sarcastic way to try and point out that we can't see everything that happens.

From your original post I take it that your system suffered some type of glitch, maybe a power surge, which knocked two computers off line and one is still off.

Your computer connects to the Level One Homeplug adapter by USB, correct? I don't understand why all the talk about ethernet. What does that have to do with it?

Maybe it would help our understanding if you could show for the problem PC and for one that is successfully connected the same way ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Agreed, but the USB device may show as a USB, it may show as a NETWORK, it may show as OTHER HARDWARE....

But I too have read the OP three times and I can't quite figure out what is the problem.

I'll review it again after the IPCONFIG detail is posted.

What doesn't make any sense to me? Well the OP says "I can ping yahoo.com but {someIP address} doesn't work".

This really doesn't mean anything. IF YOU can ping a DNS name then your INTERNET is working fine. You can connect to the gateway fine, it transfers your requests to DNS for queries fine, you resolve the queries fine (getting an akamai address for yahoo.com) it gives you the IP and you ping fine.
    This frankly means your internet and LAN is working fine.

The fact that {someIP} doesn't work means that that IP is down or unreachable is inconsequential.

I'm not quite seeing the problem.

6. MEuser

MEuser Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the advice re the light bulb etc. I have changed my experience level to beginner!! Thought I knew a little something about 'puters, but been shown otherwise.

The ipconfig /all test comes out as follows:

Host Name ...................... : Sam
    Primary DNS Suffix .......... :
    Node Type .......................: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled ........... : No
    WNS Proxy Enabled .......... : No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection Specific DNS Suffix .............................. :
    Description .......................................................... : HomePlug USB Adapter
    Physical Address .................................................. : 00-50-BF-AA-58-FA
    Dchp Enabled ...................................................... : Yes
    Auto Configuration Enabled ................................... : Yes
    IP Address ........................................................... : 192.168.1.6
    Subnet Mask ........................................................ : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway ................................................... : 192.168.1.1
    Dhcp Server ......................................................... : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers ......................................................... : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained ..................................................... : 25 October 2007 01:27:11 PM
    Lease Expires ....................................................... : 26 October 2007 01:27:11 PM

Thanks again

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is that the working PC or the problem one? If it is the problem PC, as Jeruvy said, "I can't quite figure out what is the problem."

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Again -- let's clarify what works, what doesn't work, and what you want to use.

1 > the built-in Ethernet adaptor works -- but you don't want to use it? Or have you tested this to ensure that in fact it does work?

2 > the "gizmo" doesn't work -- and that's the one you want to use? :p

Can you give us more information on this device? -- I've never used one, don't know offhand where to look for configuration or troubleshooting instructions.

9. MEuser

MEuser Thread Starter

TerryNet

yep, its the problem one - I thought maybe it was a problem wih IE which I tried un-installing and re-installing, but once again back at square one. Probably end up using a cable connection. Very strange since it was working perfectly for at least a year or so.
    Thanks for your help anyway

Rollin' Rog

The built-in Ethernet adaptor has never been used - I'm sure it will work - but will have to get a 15m cable - which looks like the solution in the end.

The Gismo is also working fine - and have used it for a long time - It has a network signal test which says that the signal is "excellent" and the ping test with the gateway is ok as well. So I am stumped. Checked all the setting I know of and just run out of ideas.

Thanks guys

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't go away yet; I'm just getting started. :)

Your ipconfig /all looks great. It's not that I'm not comprehending the cause of your problem; it's that I, call me dense if you like, do not understand what the problem is. Can you not browse the internet?

I'm going to assume for the moment that you can't browse the internet. First try this ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If that doesn't solve your problem, switch this computer's HomePlug with another one. See if the problem moves with the HomePlug or stays with the computer.

11. bogyi

bogyi

seems like you NIC card is getting IP from router, seems ok.
    open up IE and in the address bar, type http://69.147.114.210 and click 'Go" or enter.
    see if you get the Yahoo! homepage.

If you see the Yahoo homepage, then simply Reset your router from reset button on it. (refer to manual) - note: reset means not powering off.
    If you have Modem and Router separately, then reset both.

best.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The tcp/ip and winsock resets may be the fix -- one symptom is that you can access ISP email and ftp sites, but not do normal browsing when there is damage here.

This issue would show up regardless of what adapter you were using.

13. MEuser

MEuser Thread Starter

Tried the yahoo address and got nothing - the IE page opens up and the message at the bottom is "website found. waiting for a reply" and that is as far as it goes. Just a blank screen. This is what has been happening all along trying to get onto the web - there is no e-mail set up on this computer so don't know if that side of things are working or not?

This computer does not have SP2 package installed yet (waiting to get online for that) so don't know if i can do a winsock / tcp/ip stack reset with SP1 (not sure how to do that - had a look but could not give correct commands?)

Swapped the gismo box with one from a working system and the problem remained - so the problem stays with the computer.

Round and round we go!!

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The command for the winsock is definitely just for SP2; I'm not sure about tcp/ip -- but here is the official MS wassup; read down and you will find instructions for doing both on pre SP2 systems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

There is also a way to do this by using 3rd party utilities; in general these are not for SP2, but you could do it:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

In any case the problem you are experiencing should not happen after a clean install in which nothing else was added. Unless you somehow got infected before ever actually establishing a connection.

If you want, you can run a diagnostic and see what it reports.

This is done by going to start > run, and entering:

netsh diag gui

wait a bit for Help and Support to open up -- and you should get an option to scan the system.

A log will be produced which you can upload here.

One thing we have not asked, and which we should have -- is whether you are connecting through a proxy. If so, you want to connect directly. Proxy connections are visible in the the Internet Options > connections > settings for your LAN

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I completely missed that you had reinstalled Windows. When you did this, did you make sure that the correct chipset drivers were installed? If not, install them from your Drivers CD or get the latest package from your PC's manufacturer's web site (and copy them over via CD, floppy, flash drive, etc.).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!