1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN cable disconnected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by toptechx6, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toptechx6

toptechx6 Thread Starter

I'm far from the most adept with computers and sure hope someone can help. I'm trying to set up a simple same room network to connect a laptop running Win 98 & a desktop running XP Pro , I want to be able to share files & printer as well as my DSL connection. The DSL modem is an Efficient Networks(Siemens) 4060 that is connected to the desktop with a USB cable, there is no ethernet (RJ 45) connection on the modem. Both computers have ethernet cards & I connected them using a commercialy made crossover cable. When I run the network wizard it indicates an open LAN connection, after checking it repeatedly I attempted to bypass that difficulty and set up the network anyway, all I accomplished after it ran was that my DSL would no longer connect from either machine! The XP restore feature managed to bail me out of that fix but I'm right back to square one, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many times, I've encountered issues where two machines won't work directly with a crossover cable, and I stick a cheap hub between them, and all is well. This seems to happen more with laptops than desktops, FWIW.

3. eurodat

eurodat

Are you certain its a crossover cable?

Remember that if you add a hub that you will need regular cables, the crossover cable will not work.

4. toptechx6

toptechx6 Thread Starter

I haven't personally pin checked the cable but it is a new commercially made (Belkin) cable & it is marked "crossover" I guess I'm puzzled about using the hub, I thought if a hub was used I'd then need to connect the hub to my modem & it does not have a compatible connector (RJ 45) only USB, or am I mistaken?

5. jimi

jimi

use the hub to connect the 2 pc's and leave the modem connected as it is

6. eurodat

eurodat

7. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Do the link lights work on both NICs?

If the NIC on the laptop is PCMCIA is it enabled?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice