1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by obetskie1960, Sep 4, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. obetskie1960

obetskie1960 Thread Starter

I did not have the chance to select F1 beacause i am eager to change the BIOS into default settings. When i try to boot the second time to select F1 the error message appears again.

Again thank you for your time.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Do you have a voltmeter
    Check the voltage on the CMOS battery
    I think I am correct in saying that it has two leads to a small connection - on the motherboard header

metallica5456 likes this.
  3. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

What if you reset the Cmos again by removing both batteries and then press F1 ?

Very good idea by Macboatmaster to check the Cmos battery voltage if you can.

4. obetskie1960

Thank you Macboatmaster and managed for the time. I will try your suggestion and keep you posted.

5. obetskie1960

Good day.

I just arrived last night from out of town trip.

I follow ung instruction to test the voltage of the cmos battery and i got 3.12 volts. I am just wondering how come that i still got 3.12 volts considering that my laptop is already 6 years old. I tried my luck to replace the battery with a new one although i was getting right voltage. But before replacing the battery i did hard reset by pressing the power button for 60 seconds to remove any electricity from the motherboard. Btw, i waited 3 hours before i install the new battery.

After exerting all efforts same messages appear. 1st boot, it says press F1 to continue and press F2 for settings. This time i press F1 hoping that it will boot to windows but LAN card message appear. 2nd boot, i pressed F2 but Enter Password appear. I repeated same routine 3x but no luck.

I am very disappointed and dont know what to do.

Regards and thank you

6. Macboatmaster

On the screen enter password - leave it blank and click on next or whatever is there to indicate continue

HOWEVER my further research suggests that on that model of Lenovo the battery I asked you to check is only for the Real Time Clock. It does not reset or change any BIOS firmware settings when removed.
    Those settings INCLUDING passwords both user and supervisor passwords are written to a non volatile chip on the system board
    That means a chip that can be written to, read and re-written to.

Please see page 26
    http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1017941882.pdf

I have no idea how a password came to be set, if there never was one set in the first place.
    However if I am right and your system is such that the Coin cell battery controls only the RTC then you cannot change the settings for the password

There are suggestions that this can be done by shorting two of the connecting pins for the chip to the system board but these are unvalidated and I would most certainly not recommend it.

Additionally although this topic never started with a password issue - help and advice on that matter is limited on this site, as one of the rules of the site is that we do assist with password issues -

I mention this only for your information.
    so that you are fully aware of the situation.

I wish you the best of luck with it

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. obetskie1960

Thank you for you time and efforts, really. Very much appreciated for all the help to both of you Macboatmaster and Managed.

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Please do let me know how it goes

9. obetskie1960

Here is the development in my laptop problem.

I brought my PC to a reputable computer repair shop the other day and after explaining the problem they told me that the culprit is not the CMOS battery but the EEPROM chip wherein the password and other data was stored. They have to short pins 5 and 6 for a couple of minutes to reset everything in the BIOS. True enough, my laptop is now working like a charm. It took them 5 hours to do job.

Again, my endless gratitude to Macboatmaster and Managed for spending your valued time and efforts in helping me. More power to both of you.

10. Macboatmaster

As I thought
    but not a job I think for you to have tried.
    I am pleased you got it sorted and thank you for posting the results

obetskie1960 likes this.
  11. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Glad you got it fixed. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195832