1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lan Chat & ADSL ???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bear43, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bear43

bear43 Thread Starter

Hi, I need to install ADSL internet connection to one of the three computers on the network that is already running. Here is my problem. The 3 computers are win98 running a small chat program Called iChat on a hub and they use sequential ip addresses. If I install the ADSL and configure the one computer my ISP will assign a new ip address to the one computer. This will create a problem with the network. Does anyone know how to configure this? I need three computers networked running ichat and one of the three able to access the internet. All computers are on win98. Please help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A broadband router would isolate you from the ISP's IP address scheme, all of your systems could have fixed addresses if you like.

3. bear43

bear43 Thread Starter

Hey thanks but I need a software solution. Someone mentioned useing a proxy program like anologX. Here is his reply

You could purchase a 2nd NIC for the computer that's accessing the internet. Then download and setup some free Proxy software (like AnalogX), and configure the one NIC to use a non-routable IP (like the other 2 PCs have), and the other NIC can use your ISP's assigned IP.
    If it all works, then all the machines should be able to communicate with this iChat program, AND connect to the internet.

But I am not sure i understand how to set up the hardware i.e. "configure to use a non-routable IP"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!