1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN Connection Issue - DHCP 169.254.xxx.xxx

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maqer, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maqer

maqer Thread Starter

One night my desktop just couldn't connect to the network via wired LAN. Yellow warning sign with no internet connectivity, 169.254.xxx.xxx windows automatic IP, cannot get IP from DHCP. Here's some info:

- I used a pci wireless adapter on the same computer and connects to the network fine.
    - All other computers connected to the network via wireless fine.
    - Used the same port and cable and connected to another computer, connects just fine (not a cable issue or router issue)
    - Used ipconfig, reset router/modem, deleted and reinstalled NIC, disabled NIC and restarted NIC, restarted DHCP in services, did Winsock reset, manually assigned an IP, system restored, in depth antivirus/spyware scan, updated every networking associated device/software. None of these methods worked.

Here is what temporarily worked.....

I used the same cable/port connected to the router via wired LAN to another computer which detects network and connects just fine. Right after, I plug it back into my main computer and it finally detects the network and connects to the internet. This only works when I have a manually assigned IP so it won't get the 169.254.xxx.xxx. However after awhile, it goes back to the same issue again and cannot detect the network or has no internet connectivity. That happens randomly. I would have to redo this process everytime in order to get it working.

Anyone have any ideas or how to fix this permanently?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Did you try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew at the Command Prompt?

3. maqer

maqer Thread Starter

Yes, one of the first things I tried.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It has to be the cable then - or the NIC itself. Don't let LEDs kid you into thinking it works.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you have come as close as you can to 100% proving that the NIC is bad. Get a new one. There's a very, very small chance that a corrupted non-Windows firewall or security suite is the culprit. The fix for that possibility is to uninstall it and use the vendor's Remove Tool if one is provided.

6. msinger

msinger

I can relate to Mager and to other similar unsolved posts (particularly forums.techguy.org/networking/602937-local-area-connection-unable-contact.html)...

To experiment with the same net configuration and hardware, I installed Windows XP in a spare hard drive of one of the Windows 7 computers. With Windows XP the laptop connects to the LAN and to internet, uses auto DHCP, etc. at every startup. No problems. Same computer, same LAN, but with Windows 7, no connection…

With Windows 7, the only way to connect via LAN (wireless works perfect) is to assign a fixed IP and let Windows correct the problem (we know the problem Windows corrects: it is of course that we need auto DHCP). We make sure everything is OK in the services panel. Turn off, turn on… Again, everything is in auto, the icons show we are connected, but it does not work.

None of the Windows 7 notebooks are able to browse the internet after startup if connected to a LAN, that is, unless we, once again, reconfigure with a fixed IP and then let Windows “correct the problem”… We have been doing this for weeks every time an executive returns with his laptop after using wifi…

The problem appears only with Windows 7 machines.
    The problem starts immediately after a clean install.
    The problem is solved “miss-configuring” IPV4 and then letting Windows correct the need for auto DHCP. If the computer is left on, it stays connected. The problem reappears if the computer is restarted.
    The problem occurs not only at our HQ but every time we try to browse the internet through a LAN.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice