LAN connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mgoblue424

hi. i was wondering if anyone could help me out with an issue connecting to a college network. i got a new computer, and the apt. im in on campus has a high speed connection in the wall.

when i plug an ethernet cable in, i get a blank screen. i tried someone elses laptop and it connect no problem, so the connection is good. the windows screen that popped up did say to check in the internet options, and i have done all they recommended, and the utility came back to say there are no probs with the computer either.

anyone have any other recommendations? i can connect wirelessly, i just want to make sure everythings working.

Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If this is XP-SP2, try this, the installation defaults should be right for an automatic connection.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

mgoblue424

appreciate the help.

still no go though. :-( the more i think about it, the more i think its prob. related to the network. i have tried to register the computer on the school network via the wireless connection, but it is not allowing me to. so i will contact tech support tomorrow.

appreciate the help though!

Steve:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online