1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lan/DSL settings for router - HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nikib1, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikib1

nikib1 Thread Starter

Hi

I have DSL . My son wants to be able to connect his Xbox to my DSL, so I bought a Ethernet cable, and a Netgear router, have my computer and the router connected right now. I can get to the internet, but Netgear has attached my DSL connection through the LAN, not the PPPOE/DSL !

Please help me fix this, I can't connect to Outlook, and the LAN is the wrong setting..

Thanks
    Nikki

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK, I'm confused! How are you connecting all of this stuff together?

If you connect the DSL modem to the WAN port on the router, and connect the computer(s) and XBOX to the LAN ports, you should have all of the capability you had before. You will have to configure the WAN section of the router to change it's mode to PPPoE and enter your name/password for the DSL account.

3. nikib1

nikib1 Thread Starter

I've connected everything the way you said, so I guess it's the router settings...I don't know how to change that, according to the connection Wizard..LAN is the way it should be connected. I didn't see where on the setup for netgear where it allowed me to choose a connection type, it was all pre-filled on info basically.

So, How to I change the router settings? I've gone through the advanced settings, but I didn't see where I can change anything. When I log onto 192.168.1.1 it says the page cannot be displayed...Can you help me? I've changed all my settings for all my email address to the LAN connection...and I'm on my browser also...so Should I just stay that way? This DSL or LAN setting stuff confuses me.

Thanks
    Nikki

4. JohnWill

Well, I'm certainly confused!

Did you follow the directions that came with the router for connecting it to the modem and a computer? At this point, I'd probably recommend you reset the router to factory defaults.

You should be able to connect a single computer to one of the LAN ports of the router and access the setup pages. If you can't, we need to solve that problem first.

5. nikib1

nikib1 Thread Starter

I've used this router before about a year ago, when I had my laptop, I had the same problem then, but can't remember how to fix it, I had Netgears free support then, but It's been over 90 days so, they won't help me without charging me.

I've installed the router exactly as the directions said ( that's where the pre-filled info re: my computer came about).

I guess I need to know how to change the LAN settings back to WAN miniport PPPoE settings. The router installation moved it to LAN settings. As I said, My son is playing his Xbox and I'm on my computer and Outlook express ( I just changed from DSL connection to LAN connection for every account) and all is working OK...but from what I understand I don't want to be on LAN settings, I want to be on WAN miniport PPPoE. Is this correct? And if so...how do I change it?

I tried going to the advanced settings on the routers setup, but I don't understand all the IP #'s it shows and it doesn't have a place to change LAN settings to WAN PPPoE settings.

When this happened last year with my laptop ( I was making it wireless), I remember something about going into MY COMPUTER or Networking and changing something...I've gone in both and tried to see If I could remember...but I don't.

Does any of that info help?
    Nikki

6. JohnWill

A simple way to reset the TCP/IP stack to the installation default, which will allow connection to the router is:

Start, Run, and type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This should allow you to access the router setup pages.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

johnwill,

I'm a little unclear why if they can get to the Internet on the computer (from the first post), it is necessary to reset TCP/IP on that computer.

From the posts, it seemed like the problem was with the PPPoE settings on the router (which he can also access).

8. JohnWill

Bob, perhaps you missed: "When I log onto 192.168.1.1 it says the page cannot be displayed...Can you help me?".

That sounds to me like he can't access the router.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

nikib1

Is it confirmed that 192.168.1.1 is your router's IP address?

If TCP/IP isn't working properly , then I'm not sure how you are getting to the Internet at all.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

johnwill,

I did see the part where he can't connect to the router. But I also saw the part "I can get to the internet"

Typically if you can get to the Internet, the TCP/IP is working. You also probably don't need to worry about corrupted winsock2 registry entries either (not that this has been suggested yet but the same reasoning applies). What I'm not sure of is what his IP address is, if it is being assigned by the router, or if it is in the same IP scheme as the router.

nikib1,

Can you open a dos window and run:
    IPCONFIG /ALL and see what IP address the problem computer has.

11. JohnWill

I think he gets to the Internet connected directly to the DSL modem, not when he connects to the router.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Exactly and that is why I requested further IP information.

But regardless of how you get to the Internet (directly connected to your DSL modem or through a router) I would again think that if TCP/IP were not working properly, then you would not get to the Internet at all.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice