Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MaestroMetty

Hi guys, I've recently passed some Ethernet Cables into my house to extend Internet access inside my house. I've now this setup.
SETUP.png
Router number 1 and 2 are on third floor, number 3 and 4 in first floor.
Now I have my PC connected to router number 3 and 100% of the time I have internet connection and I can reach every other router in the network.
Router number 2 every time I'm connecting is giving me internet connection and access to every other roter.
But I have a problem with router number 4 (Which is a newer model of numer 2 with the same exact configuration), the problem is that every once in a while I have wifi but no internet access, and while there's no internet on 4 I can't reach other routers, but i can reach number 4's IP from number 2's wifi even when 4 has no connection. I'm also 100% sure there's no wifi interference because i checked that with an android app called Wifi analyzer.
I don't know why only one router is giving me problems. And I'm also out of ideas about how to fix it, so I'm really looking for some help.
Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Explain your configuration. "LAN-LAN" router means connected by LAN port with WAN port empty?

How are LAN IP addresses of each router set?

Dhcp servers of secondary routers on or off?

MaestroMetty

Explain your configuration. "LAN-LAN" router means connected by LAN port with WAN port empty?

How are LAN IP addresses of each router set?

Dhcp servers of secondary routers on or off?
Lan port of router 1 goes into switch, then every cable from the switch goes into a lan port of the routers. Router 2 and 3 have WAN port free, router 4 has it occupied by a smart TV.

IPs are:
Router 1: 192.168.1.2
// 2: 192.168.1.5
// 3: 192.168.1.3
// 4: 192.168.1.4

Secondary routers have DHCP relay with relay to 192.168.1.2 so I don't have to manually set IP for every device connecting to a secondary router.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks. Ok, I don't understand why you don't just disable the Dhcp server on the secondary routers (devices would then get their IP configurations directly from the main router) but the Dhcp relay seems to be working. Although maybe not all the time on the router with the WAN connection?

I don't understand what that WAN connection to the smart TV does unless the router is set to an Access Point mode (making the WAN port be just another LAN port).

I don't have any firm ideas on this except that the WAN/TV connection is suspicious since that is the router which sometimes gives a problem.

MaestroMetty

Thanks. Ok, I don't understand why you don't just disable the Dhcp server on the secondary routers (devices would then get their IP configurations directly from the main router) but the Dhcp relay seems to be working. Although maybe not all the time on the router with the WAN connection?

I don't understand what that WAN connection to the smart TV does unless the router is set to an Access Point mode (making the WAN port be just another LAN port).

I don't have any firm ideas on this except that the WAN/TV connection is suspicious since that is the router which sometimes gives a problem.
If I disable DHCP on secondary routers devices would not connect as they can't get IP from secondary routers, i would have to set them manually every new device that connects.

I will try leaving the WAN port free but for a long period of time i had WAN port occupied also on router 3 and never gave me problem. If this doesn't work i will try to re-trim the ethernet cable to router 4, maybe I made a mistake trimming that at first.

Thanks for your time anyway!

TerryNet

Terry
If I disable DHCP on secondary routers devices would not connect as they can't get IP from secondary routers, i would have to set them manually every new device that connects.
Your setup is working for you, so this is just "academic." Why would you have to use static IPs? You have things set up with everything on the one local network, so no matter to which router a device is connected the main router's Dhcp server would respond to a configuration request. Unless there is something special in your LAN that I am missing.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The description of the network topology is confusing to me. This should be very basic and cut and dry. Router 1 is the main router where you're getting Internet access. It also is serving as the DHCP server for the entire network. A LAN port on router 1 would plug into any port on the switch. Routers 2, 3, and 4 would also plug in the exact same way to the switch with one of their LAN ports. Absolutely no connectivity to the WAN ports on routers 2, 3, and 4. The DHCP server for routers 2, 3, and 4 is to be turned off. This creates one flat layer 2 network. With this set up there is absolutely no need for a DHCP relay.

A DHCP relay is used when you're trying to provide DHCP services to a segmented network where the DHCP communications has to cross a routed boundary.

MaestroMetty

The description of the network topology is confusing to me. This should be very basic and cut and dry. Router 1 is the main router where you're getting Internet access. It also is serving as the DHCP server for the entire network. A LAN port on router 1 would plug into any port on the switch. Routers 2, 3, and 4 would also plug in the exact same way to the switch with one of their LAN ports. Absolutely no connectivity to the WAN ports on routers 2, 3, and 4. The DHCP server for routers 2, 3, and 4 is to be turned off. This creates one flat layer 2 network. With this set up there is absolutely no need for a DHCP relay.

A DHCP relay is used when you're trying to provide DHCP services to a segmented network where the DHCP communications has to cross a routed boundary.
If i disable DHCP relay when i'm trying to connect to secondary router it shows the error "Could not get IP Address".
I also left the WAN port free on router 4 but I still lose internet access sometimes.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then something isn't right in how you have things wired up. Are you sure you have every router on your network connected to that central switch via just the LAN port of each router? And do you have the DHCP server turned off for routers 2, 3, and 4?

MaestroMetty

Then something isn't right in how you have things wired up. Are you sure you have every router on your network connected to that central switch via just the LAN port of each router? And do you have the DHCP server turned off for routers 2, 3, and 4?
Ok, i have turned off DHCP server on every router. I can connect to every router but 4. Which is a newer model of 2 but it has the same firmware, so they have the same configuration.
I've checked with an ethernet cable tester and the cable is ok.
So may router 4 be the problem? Maybe it's faulty in some way.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What do you mean by connect to router 4? Are you trying to access the router's admin GUI? Are devices connected to the LAN ports of router 4 able to access the rest of the network/Internet?

MaestroMetty

What do you mean by connect to router 4? Are you trying to access the router's admin GUI? Are devices connected to the LAN ports of router 4 able to access the rest of the network/Internet?
Device connected to router 4 via ethernet cable has internet all the time, and can access other routers with 192.168.1.X. But 4's wifi is giving problems, every once in a while all the devices lose connection and can't reconnect for a while, without any particolar error. I've also placed another router instead of 4 with same wifi channels and frequence and it gave me no problem. While router 4's wifi doesn't work if i type his ip address on a wired device on router 3 i can access router 4's GUI. (WAN port on 4 has been empty since i opened this ticket)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So from what I'm gathering, you're having problems with WiFi connectivity and not with Ethernet. First, what is the WiFi setup you have? Are all the routers broadcasting the same SSID and what channels are each one set to? How big is your home? How many WiFi devices do you have on your network and where are they concentrated? Why do you have so many WiFi routers running?

MaestroMetty

So from what I'm gathering, you're having problems with WiFi connectivity and not with Ethernet. First, what is the WiFi setup you have? Are all the routers broadcasting the same SSID and what channels are each one set to? How big is your home? How many WiFi devices do you have on your network and where are they concentrated? Why do you have so many WiFi routers running?
It's a 3 floor house, each floor is 200 squared meters each.

Number 1 and 2 are on 3rd floor.
There are a dashboard, a smart tv and 2 alexa echo dot always connected to router 1.
An alexa echo dot always connected to number 2.

Router number 3 and 4 are on first floor.
There are always 6/7 PCs and 2 printers connected to number 3 .
Router 4 has 2 SKY decoders, 2 Smart TV, 1 alexa echo dot and 2 blu ray players that should be always connected.

Then 6 smartphones that of course move around the house during the day.

They are broadcasting same SSID with this configuration for 2.4Ghz:
InkedScreenshot_20210419-173450_WiFiAnalyzer_L2I.jpg
(5GHz wifi are more channels apart. I could not be in a place where I had all 5GHz wifi showing)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online