1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN mystery...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timstanev, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timstanev

timstanev Thread Starter

Hello there,

First of all apologies if there is any topics similar to this but I haven't located them. It's just that I have lots of things to explain and though it may be worth to share this with you guys/girls.

So I have a new flatmate who has 2 Windows 7 laptops which fail to connect to the LAN Network with a cable in his room. We tried the following:

1. I took my personal laptop (Win XP) to his room, plugged in the LAN cable and internet works. I also brought my work laptop (Win 7) to his room, plugged it in and internet works.

2. We compared my work laptop's (Win 7) settings and his laptop's (also Win 7) and they are completely identical to last dot. His laptop receives data when the LAN cable is plugged, the package received is 0.

3. He brought his laptop to my room and plugged the LAN cable, and internet works! I decided to mix up the LAN cables connected to the router with the idea that smth might be wrong with one of the sockets on the router... Same result as already explained above.

I also thought that maybe the router can support 3 LAN connections only, so took one of the LAN cables off the router, his laptop still doesn't connect in his room, but is completely fine and connected to the internet when in my or my other flatmate's room...

Has anyone experienced this at all? Do you guys know how this can be fixed?

2. lastrachris

lastrachris

Just to make sure I've got this right, you have two laptops that work via LAN on that router, but his doesn't? You have also tried with a cable you know works as well, correct?

3. timstanev

timstanev Thread Starter

hi :)

we have 3 rooms. I have 2 laptops (Win7 and Win XP) that both work in every each room and have internet.
    His laptops can access internet through LAN cable in every each room apart from his.

We tried 3 different LAN cables and the result is the same - our laptops connect, but his don't. Both of his are Win 7. Hope I haven't missed smth...

4. lastrachris

lastrachris

Ah I see. Have you updated the drivers on his laptop? Also what is the actual model his laptop?

5. timstanev

timstanev Thread Starter

We haven't thought about that... but surely if the drivers needed updating / were old, then he wouldn't have been able to connect to internet in the other rooms?

He told me that the laptop is from those custom tailored ones, where you select all the hardware etc... but it's not dell or alienware, I forgot the name of the brand sorry :(

6. lastrachris

lastrachris

No worries. Are all the cables identical? If possible try to plug a cable, that you know works on both laptops, in where the one that seems to not work is. Are the laptops of the same age?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does he have gigabit and you have 100/10 Mbps ethernet? If so, the cable to his room may be defective. (Gigabit uses all eight wires; 100/10 Mbps ethernet uses four.)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!