1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN network help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dhatura1, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhatura1

dhatura1 Thread Starter

My house was fitted with all new lan lines and jacks. I put my cable modem in the room where all of the main connections are and only one pc can connect to the internet. I checked all of the jacks and the colors all match with each other, so i know that is not the problem. The longest run of cat5 cable is 100'. The main computer i use recognizes the lan line. when I plug it in it displays the modem on "local area connection 1" It, however cannot ping successfully or acquire a new ip address. It is sending packets but not receiving, but if i plug directly into the modem there is no problem. I have tried multiple cables in multiple wall jacks. There are 7 wall ports in the house. i have only been able to test 4. 3 have the problem listed above, and one can somewhat connect. I get a 50% loss when i ping from that computer and will not open pages tho.

2. dhatura1

dhatura1 Thread Starter

also, I have time warner and they are about as smart as a box of rocks and the cable modem is a netgear. They came and took my rca which i never had a problem with and gave me this netgear which i have not been able to get online with since they gave it to me. I actually exchanged for a new one 2 days ago, and still the same problem

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

Where do the LAN cables connect? In a main room? To a router? I'd be looking there.

4. bhennon

bhennon

If you hooked up the jacks yourself did you use the standard cat5 color coding (pin outs)? Even though they are straight through, you need to hook them up in a certian order to avoid interference between the twisted pairs.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

Also, I assume you are using a router right? in ohter words the cable modem feeds the router then from the router you have a single cable for each of the 7 house connections? Also make sure it is a router and not a switch (hub). the cable modem will only provide one ip address.

Are you saying that all 7 connections worked with the old device?

were the lines "pulled" through with enough force to damage them?

One last possible is that the cat5 for certian lines is running through or around an area where there is interference (power line, florecent lights, etc.)

5. dhatura1

dhatura1 Thread Starter

they meet in a main room near the laundry. I have already checked there. i pulled EVERY jack out of the wall and checked to make sure they are all wired the same and all have good connections

6. dhatura1

dhatura1 Thread Starter

i ran the wires myself. no tight turns or pulling. LOTS of slack.
    There is no hub or router. Only the cable modem/router. and yes all 7 devices worked on the old modem.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

And you can plug stuff into the new modem, and it will work that way, just not via the wall plug, correct?

If so, you are still looking at a cabling issue.

8. bhennon

bhennon

Have you tried messing with the rotuer settings? Half duplex vs full? 10mb vs 100mb vs 1000mb? forced vs auto negotiate? I might try that. Maybe the new device is having trouble negotiating a connection.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice