1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN no valid IP Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Deazy, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I know this seems like a pretty common problem just by looking on Google or on here. I have tried quite a few things and a cannot seem to get internet. Here is my problem.

Work has 3 Computers. 2 Desktop 1 Laptop (all running windows 7). Moved premises and got the internet connected. Once internet was connected, simply plugged all 3 computers into the router. 2 of the three computers worked and received internet, the third one hasn't. I keep getting the "no valid IP Configuration" on the computer.

Have tried different routers, new cable still nothing. Have looked at the router and network driver to ensure that they are up to date. Yes, still nothing. Thought that maybe it may have been a network card, so plugged both computers into the lan cable, still same error. Looked at router settings, cant seem to find anything out of the ordinary.
    Just seems strange that 2/3 computers worked without anything, now this one is not playing the game. Have not tried reinstalling Windows, can do so if you think this will solve the problem. If not then a solution would be great.

Cheers

Deazy

2. dannyn

dannyn

Can you do this?

Start > serach for CMD > Right click > Run as admin > ipconfig /all and post the results here.

I would guess that you have an error in your DNS configuration, such as the dns server is the one from the prior network.

3. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

As Requested dannyn:

4. dannyn

dannyn

My initial hypothesis is incorrect seems to be incorrect.

The adapter says disconnected meaning that the computer has no physical connection, or so it believes, to the networking equipment. I would look further into a driver problem, but if it was functioning, turned off, then moved, and is now in the state that it is in, leads me to believe that it is more of a hardware issue than a software.

If I am interpreting you correctly, you said that you plugged another computer into the exact same cable and placement and that computer worked, but this one will not. If it is an add in card, I would check to make sure that it is seated properly in case it slid out during the move.

Also could you look under device manager and make sure there are no yellow triangles?

5. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

I just checked Device Manager, does not seem to be any errors there. Sorry dannyn, did not interpret correctly, I have plugged the two computers which have working internet into that cable (same placement) and they do not work. I still get the same error message "invalid ip conifig".
    So Im guessing that this is not a problem with the computer itself then. I just bought a new cable today as I thought it may be the cable but same error.
    The light on the network card is lighting up when the cable is plugged in.

6. dannyn

dannyn

Ahh so it seems to be a problem with either the router config or the switch on the rear of the router. I did not ask above which I should have, but what kind of router is this? I may have incorrectly assumed that it was just a SOHO router(with factory firmware) with a small switch built in, but many of the more commercial routers the ports on the back are not simply just switch ports. That could possibly be another thing to look into.

One thing that you did not mention is if you switch this cable's port with a working port if that rectifies your issue. If that does then we know that it has to be something to do with that particular port. In that case we have two options. One you could buy a small switch that you could plug into a working port and plug both computers into that new switch, or two we can try to further troubleshoot that port to see if the config is not correct or if there is a physical issue with that port.

7. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

Thanks for your help dannyn, I think I have it sorted. Got it back to a cable problem. Hows this, I get two cables made up in town and they both give me that error. When I move the computer into the office, plug in a shorter cable, I get internet from all ports on the router?
    Thanks

8. dannyn

dannyn

How long are the cables? The max total length of the cable for copper such as cat 5e can be is 100meters approx 328 feet. Are you exceeding that?

Also do you go around any mechanical devices such as motors or elevator shafts? Another very large source of inference is flourescent lamps. Is the cable draped over a flourescent fixture?

Also if you don't string out these cables and just use it like a short jumper and go from the router to the computer do these cables work? Did the person who made it use some form of cable qualifier or TDR?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice