1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN not showing up in Network Connections - cannot connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Victimsofsociety, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Victimsofsociety

Victimsofsociety Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out, I'm desperate.

Two days ago I booted my laptop and found that I'm not able to connect to the internet via LAN. It didn't detect a connection, even though my cable was plugged in. It was able to detect the wifi networks from my neighbors, but that's not an option, i need the LAN. I changed absolutely nothing,nno updates, downloads, ... It just came out of nowhere.

I already eliminated a cable problem, the laptop from my roommate was able to connect without a problem.
    When I plug the cable in mine, the lights on the port flicker, making me believe that it's not a problem with my port either.
    it's definitely a computer problem, but I'm not sure if it's my computer or my network adapter that's being a PITA.

When I go to the Device Manager, the network adapter (broadcom 802.11g) is fine, no red x or yellow exclamation point. i have already tried turning it on and off, and uninstalling and then rebooting, no avail.

When I go to Network Connections however, under the heading LAN or fast connections, there is only the wireless connection, no LAN connection or anything else.

I've tried everything I could think of to get it back to work but nothing helps.

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

What is the make and model of the laptop?

The Broadcom 802.11g is your wireless adapter, not a LAN (ethernet) adapter. The ethernet adapter could have died or may be not recognized because of wrong/corrupted drivers.
    Does anything show in Device Manager with a yellow problem indicator? Possibly listed as Other.

You can make screenshots to post here instead of typing everything..
    To make and save a picture of the present screen
    Hold the Alt key down and hit the PrintScreen key.
    Open Paint (under Accessories) and click Edit, Paste.
    Click file, Save and save the picture to My Pictures as a .jpeg image.
    If the computer doesn't have an internet connection, save to a USB drive.

To upload it to the forum, open the full reply (Advanced) window and use the paperclip (Manage Attachments button) at top of window. In the small window click the browse button and go to where you saved the screenshot and click on that file. Then click on the Upload button to attach the file.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please answer dlsayremn's questions, but it sounds a whole lot like a defective NIC.

4. Victimsofsociety

Oh, I thought the Broadcom was for both LAN and WLAN, my bad. Then I do guess the LAN adapter has died :(
    Unfortunately I cannot post screenshots because my only source of internet is my iPad.

I have a HP Compaq 6735s with Vista Home Basic.

Under Other there are 2 Bluetooth Peripheral Devices with an exclamation mark, saying that there is no driver installed.

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

According to HP Support, youi have a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Controller

One of the devices marked as a Bluetooth Peripherial may be the Marvell. You may be able to identify it by the PCI Vender/Device numbers.

How to Identify PCI Devices.
    In Device manager, double click on the Device name (or right click and select Properties from the list) to get the Properties. Click on the Details tab.
    Select Device Instance ID fro the drop down menu. You will see some thing like one of these.
    PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353
    PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354
    PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4363
    PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_436C
    PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4357
    VEN_11AB identifies Marvell - DEV_XXXX identiies the specific device.
    These are the most common Marvell NICs used by HP.

Just installing the drivers may work.
    All Drivers for the HP Compaq 5735s are here. The latest for the Marvell is in the Network Section and should work for any Marvell NIC that HP used.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=3687621&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2094

Normally, if you had a network connection, you would download and save the file to the desktop or in your Documents folder.
    In your case, if you can borrow a computer with internet, download and save to a USB drive to transfer to your computer.
    Another option would go to take your computer to a free wireles hotspot and download the file there using wireless.

6. Victimsofsociety

Both Device Instance ID's say something like BTHENUM\{a lot of numbers here}, so I guess those are not my LAN driver and so it is probably dead, right?

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice