1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN Problem - not receiving packets

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bashrukh, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

Hello.
    Since my Powerline Ethernet Adapter got broken I have been using and alternative connection to internet via cross-over cable that was connecting my desktop with laptop that has WLAN and is connected to my router downstairs throught wifi (there is no way to connect my desktop with it directly) for about month but one day it suddenly stopped working and now both sides are not receiving packets and if they do its about 1/10 of how many has been sent. I tried to set my LAC to gather IP automaticly even tried to use winsock but neither of it worked. I am using WinXP Pro and I have no idea why it stopped working but one thing I remember just before at all is that even I was connected to internet (it was still ok and i could chat with friends) i couldnt load up any packet from http so it looked like my port 80 is blocked or something. I thought its some kind of malware so i tried to check my PC with NOD32 but it didnt help.. Thanks for any kind of help.

2. warrior19

warrior19

This seems a complicated way to get the internet on the desktop?

I have never been a fan of ICS and I guess you are using Internet Connection Sharing on the Laptop to share with the Desktop?

Can you not use a USB Wireless adapter and connect the desktop that way?

Or is this not possible?

3. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

I am not using usb wireless and yes Im connecting to shared network - btw I also tried to use ipconfig /release and /renew .. No the only possible way to connect to router downstairs is via Wifi or Powerline ethernet adapters and they got broken

4. warrior19

warrior19

Ummm.......well try resetting TCP/IP stack in Windows XP Pro on both machines.

See website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Either download the FIX IT tool or follow the MANUAL instructions.

Otherwise you need to buy a USB wireless for the desktop or new powerline adapters?

5. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

ok thanks I will take a look to that site.. well I am waiting for my new Ethernet Adaptares to arive i never thought about getting USB Wireless Adapters but i dont think its a good solution not even temporary as i can barely catch wifi signal with my integrated wlan on my laptop

6. warrior19

warrior19

Ok. Is there a reason the WLAN is so weak. Do you have access to the router or is it on a campus/very far away? We can help on this forum to suggest how to improve the signal if you want to take a look at the weak signal issue?

7. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

nope my WIFI is fine - I dont have problems with it and my laptop + desktop in my room is on the furthest place they can be in my house and other computers here are perfectly connected to it

8. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

I tried to fix it automaticly and manually but neither worked.. :( I am lost

9. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

Any other ideas?

10. warrior19

warrior19

How long ago is the 'one day it stopped working'?

Can you try a Windows XP System Restore http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

Pick a date in the past when the problem was not there.

You will not lose any current data with a system restore but if you have installed any new programs it will roll back the installs.

Try this in Safe Mode and see as it might be a malware issue like you suspect?

Also perhaps try Malware Bytes free download. Post any issues with Malware to the Security & HJT part of this forum/website!

11. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

I tried it several times but it was unable to restore my system on laptop to any age (it stopped working last saturday) and my desktop had this service disabled and because of it there were no saved settings stored.. but I guess it has something to do with IP address.. i was looking at other forums and tried to configure my TCP/IP on LAN to gather IP automatically but when I select that option my LAN will have trouble and will output that it has Invalid IP Address and after while it will change to 169.254.xxx.xxx and still not receiving packets.. before last Saturday I had gather IP Address automatically option selected and it was working fine.. sorry for english

12. warrior19

warrior19

Ok so DHCP where the router automatically assigns the PC a IP Address appears to be failing.

Have you tried power off 2 minutes/power on router downstairs to see if the DHCP issue is resolved.

You are running 'ICS' I think you said to share the working internet connection on the Laptop with the Desktop.

Try and set ICS again from the beginning as described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

The Laptop will be the HOST computer and the Desktop will be the CLIENT computer.

Failing this...save up money and buy some more Powerline Adapters?

13. Bashrukh

Bashrukh Thread Starter

Ok reseting modem failed I will have to wait for my new Powerline Adapters to arrive.. Its still a mystery why did it suddenly stop working.. <???>

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice