1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syho, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syho

syho Thread Starter

Hello

ups I posted this question in win 98 I think this is the correct forum :rolleyes:

I have a LAN problem, wel all start when i have to change my HD (the last died) I install win98 with no problem but when I want to see the others PC's in the LAN they don't appear I have to use a explorer an type the IP of the others PC's, also when I want to find the others PC's searching by name win98 dosen't find them but from others PC I find the PC that I formated

I check the configuration of the others PC's and thy are the same anybody know why it happend?

The PC is a IBM pl300 with the LAN card incorporated could it be the problem?
    before my HD died it works fine

Thanks

ps: I recibed a response from win98 it says that I have to put the netbeui protocol but before works well without it

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it works well, what's the problem? I believe it was me that suggested NETBEUI, and that's because it frequently solves network browsing issues when other measures fail.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    You can just use TCP/IP and it'll work just fine. Make sure all the computers are on the same subnet. If their IP info is setup statically, then check those settings. I'm assuming you just have them going through a Switch or a Hub using regular straight-through cabeling. Peer to Peer Network. Please write back if that doesn't work.

4. syho

syho Thread Starter

I check the TCP/IP they are iqual to the others PC's

I have a router that is connected to internet, the IP's, the dns and the gateway are fine, also they are in the same subred (I called it Ddm)

I don't know what's is happenning to this PC because when i Formated other and reinstaled windows I haven't this problem

5. JohnWill

A voice echos in the distance... "try NETBEUI... :)

6. tsfirebird

tsfirebird

Is everything on the network "workgroup". What happens when you look at the stats from using IPCONFIG \ALL from a command prompt? Just curious and trying to help. I would stick with TCP / IP if you didn't have any other networking problems before you changed the hard drive before you switch protocols to NETBEUI

7. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Did you share at least one folder?
    Did you remember to enable "File and printer sharing for MS Networks"and "Client for MS Networks”. Remember to create a user name and password and make sure to log on to the MS Network?

8. Del

Del

I have had a LAN for 5 years and multiple O/S's.
    I know tcp/ip should work by itself, but for shear slimplicity, NetBEUI works beautifully. Share Hard drives and printers and never have a problem.

9. JohnWill

After I make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all the computers, and that I can ping all around, my next step to solving browsing issues is NETBEUI. Why you might ask? Well, simple, because it works! :D

10. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

"when I want to find the others PC's searching by name win98 dosen't find them but from others PC I find the PC that I formated" from where, my network places or from \\sharename?

Are you able to \\computerName\sharename both ways?

If not what error message do you get?

Do you have any firewall installed? IF yes uninstall it and try to access the shares via \\\computerName\sharename

Also wich protocols and services are installed on the working computers and on the one that does not work properly?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice