1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blake_lives, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blake_lives

blake_lives Thread Starter

I am running a desktop computer and a laptop both with Windows XP Pro. I don't really know very much about networking. They are both connected through my router, and I can access the shared files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access the desktop with the laptop, I get the following message:

"\\<desktopname> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this netowrk resource. Contact the adminsitrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The network path was not found."

I am doing this by going to My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Home > <desktopname>.

The reason I am interested in this is that I want to play Age of Mythology over a Lan connection with someone else, but I haven't tried it yet as I figure that if this doesn't work, then neither will the gaming.

Thanks a lot.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds like the desktop has a firewall in place . . try disabeling it and see if you can connect ot it . .

3. blake_lives

blake_lives Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. after turning off windows firewall, the laptop prompts me to enter a password for username <desktopname>\guest. I am unsure of what this password would be as I have never set one up before.

4. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

you can probably get away with just leaving the password blank and presing enter.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The easy way to get around it is to create a user account on the desktop computer with the same user information you use for the desktop.

I have no clue why your being prompted for a password for a Desktop login from a TCP/IP enabled game.... Are you sure your using Age of Mythology when trying to connect?

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

You have it confused Stump, he is planning to play the game but since he can't get file sharing to work he assumed the game won't work on LAN either, which by the way is not true the game should work fine even if file sharing is messed up.

Try using 'guest' as the password also.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are not using Simple File Sharing, I think you need to have the same user account/password on both XP Pro machines.

If you are using Simple File Sharing, try the following fix on the machine that won't allow access (JohnWill provided the script).

Using notepad create a file named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

------------------- cut after this line -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
    ------------------- cut before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I wasn't sure how file sharing came into a problem with playing games.. glad to see I am not crazy.

BTW only troubleshoot file sharing if your using it... don't use file sharing to troubleshot getting a TCP/IP game working. While they have simliarties one may work while the other doesn't.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice