1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN Server Backups

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LaurieDavies, Aug 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. LaurieDavies

LaurieDavies Thread Starter

Hey there,

A bit of a wild question, I don't know if anyone would be able to help. I have come across a charity who needs a form of backup for there CMS. It is a very basic website, with the functionality of booking drivers to take elderly to appointments. The system consists of three computers in an office which are used as inputs to the system to take questions from the community as well as book and assign drivers to trips. It serves its purpose at least. However the other day the DC where the website is hosted crashed leaving the charity with people calling and no means to check databases.

At the moment, the idea is to create a LAN with a server which will run as a web server. This web server will communicate with the main server in the DC and run in parallel. This means, that because the website is held locally, the staff will be able to access crucial details. Any changes made to one or the other servers will change simultaneously. IS this at all possible or am I just dreaming?

Let me know if you need any more info and thanks for the help.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I read this post a number of times and can't figure out how the system is currently set up and what you're trying to achieve. Are you looking to set up server redundancy or are you actually asking about doing data backups of a server?

Is this website externally accessible via the Internet or is it only internal? What are the pieces of the software? Is there a database component to it? What caused the initial server crash? What's the budget for this project?

3. LaurieDavies

LaurieDavies Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks, yes we would be looking at a server redundancy setup. The website/system is currently hosted at a DC which we have no access to. The problem occurred and wasn’t resolved for 2 days.
    The system at the moment is external. What the Charity needs is a way of accessing the website locally via a LAN when the main DC is out of operation. It is crucial that the information is told to the elderly as and when they need it.

The system consists of a whole load of databases for every function on it.

In terms of budget, as it is a NPO (I am certainly not charging for my time). They are happy to purchase the necessary hardware and software. I have already setup the LAN and started a local server setup.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not recommend for any physically hosted server here. There is no expertise to build out and maintain any hardware that is purchased. The first place I would start is to pull the agreement they entered with the hosting company to see what the SLA (service level agreement) states as to their obligation for up time. If the last outage was within the terms of that agreement, I would tell them to look into changing out of that agreement with something that has better up time obligations. Keep in mind when you do this, it's going to raise the cost. Up time whether you pay someone to do it or you do it yourself is expensive.

There are two terms used in my discussions with clients and anyone in the industry for that matter: RTO (recovery time objective) and RPO (recovery point objective). RTO refers to how fast you want the system to come back on line after a failure. Many times this is also described with 9s. The number of 9s determines how much outage time a year the system is designed to have. RPO refers to how far back in time the system will be in terms of available data. The more current to real time, the more expensive the system will be.

I applaud you for your initiative to help them pro bono. But this is a larger project than you think. Especially since we're talking about two different sites requiring replication of data and adjustments in DNS pointers to move users from one data center to another in the event of failure. Large corporations with big web presences can't even get this right and many times take outages or have to pull down their web site due to needing to perform system maintenance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice