LAN Speed on Gigabit Ethernet Port

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rivo2006

Hi all,

Ive recently got setup with a wireless broadband setup (coaxial cable from rooftop panel, down into a cable modem, which is connected with a Cat5 ethernet cable to my pc)

The thing I don't get is the speed of the LAN reported in Vista64. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with dual gigabit ethernet ports, but the rated speed of the LAN is only 10.0mbps.

I have checked the Speed and Duplex settings on the NIC, it is set to "auto-negotiate" with the possibility to change it to "1000 mbps Full Duplex" Ive seen on other forums that changing this setting can have no affect. Could this be a configuration issue, or the fact that the cable modem (branded only "Com21") may not be compatible with faster speeds on ethernet, or maybe the Cat5 cable needs to be changed?

**UPDATE - I remember that my PS3 had a Cat6 cable in the box, connected that between the modem and the NIC and it still ran at 10 mbps. I then changed the Speed n Duplex setting to 1000mbps at which point I lost all connectivity and only regained it when i switched to the 100mbps option...........

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you're plugging your PC directly into the modem, you're likely seeing the limitation of the port speed of the modem which is typically either 10 or 100 Mbit. This won't matter too much as I doubt your wireless service is giving you anything over 10 Mbit anyways.

rivo2006

Yes, your right there. Given the fact its wireless BB and not even ADSL, it doesnt matter too much.

I did change the NIC to 100mbps full duplex and now the LAN is rated to be running at that speed so, that should be fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!