1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tellytubby, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellytubby

Tellytubby Thread Starter

Hi all,

I run a network at home, 2 computers, both running xp. One connecting directly to cable broadband modem (computer 1) with the two computers linked by a single crossover cable. For the past year or so I have happily shared the internet connection as well as the printer and numerous files but today when I booted them up computer 2 - the one not connected to the modem - simply gave me a "Limited or no connectivity", I'd had the problem before and had in the past easily fixed it by repairing the connection however now it simply hangs on renewing ip address.

I've tried restarting computers, disabling and enabling connections, nothing I do seems to work. Any help is greatly appreciated and any more information I need to provide just ask.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

I just went to check on firewall on host computer, when I tried to open up firewall settings i recieved something along the lines of "Windows firewall and internet connection sharing are not currently running, would you like to start running them?" Ridiculous i could spend 2 hours on something and solve it like that >.<

Out of curiosity, how did my internet connection service just "turn itself off"? seems strange to me,

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Could be from an error to spyware

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might consider getting a router to share the cable modem rather than all going through one computer.

It's more reliable
    You don't have to have that one computer on for any of the others to access the Internet
    Serves as a reasonable firewall since no computer is directly connected to the Internet.
    They are not that expensive these days.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice