1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN through Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alpeabody, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alpeabody

alpeabody Thread Starter

Friends,

We live full time in an RV, and have two computers: 1) my tower box stuffed under the dinette with the LCD screen shoved aside when we're eating, pulled in front of me when computing (mostly editing videos, which needs the power of the big box); and 2) her laptop. Both machines have Wi-Fi cards, so when we find a campground with Wi-Fi we can use either computer to access the Internet, though generally not both at once.

After finding Wi-Fi to be not very common in campgrounds, I got the Cingular EDGE Network set up, accessing it through the cell phone, which includes a modem. It works surprisingly well, certainly not as fast as cable modem or DSL but MUCH better than dial-up.

It works so well that I can set up the tower for Internet connection sharing, hook my Ethernet cable between the two machines and we're both on at the same time. The only hassle is that the computers must be within 10 feet of each other, the Ethernet cable likes to trip me, and I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I trip over it again.

I tried to use the two Wi-Fi cards to talk to each other, forming a wireless LAN, but couldn't make it work. Each machine would find its own Wi-Fi (both 802.11G Linksys cards) but Windows would warn that it had "Limited or no connectivity." I used all the wizards I could find, they all reported good results, but again just couldn't make My Network Places appear, or Internet access carry over--both of which work fine with the Ethernet cable.

Any ideas?

al

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

You can set up ICS on the towers wireless card and create an ad hoc connection to the laptop.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In setting up the ad-hoc wireless connection, make sure that you specify 'ad-hoc' rather than 'infra-structure' on both machines, specify the same band and channel (or 'auto') on both machines, and keep TCP/IP properties at 'obtain IP auto ...'. Get it working, then add WEP encryption.

Then you can run the Network Setup Wizard to enable ICS.

For my interest, how does your computer connect to the cell phone for internet?

4. alpeabody

alpeabody Thread Starter

My Motorola cell phone includes the EDGE (Ehanced Digital GSM Experience) supported by Cingular. It comes with a USB cable and a CD of software. When I can't get a direct Ethernet link, I just plug in the cell phone, click on the software icon, and it hooks up, as long as we have a decent cell signal. It costs me about $2 a day, speed is about 500 kbps, and there is no additional charge per minute. I can even use the cell phone, though that seems to make it even more flaky than a normal cell phone.

Where we volunteer every summer, we get an Ethernet jack with access to the T1 line, so that is much better, but +- 50 Kbytes/sec is tolerable.

al

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice