1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN Upgrade

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Justawind, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Here is my question. I currently work for a company that is kicking around the idea of upgrading the LAN. The LAN has about 30 computers on it after a rough count and operating systems ranging from Win NT SP 6, Win 2000 Pro, Win 2003 Server and at least one XP box. When asked about the office boxes, my suggestion was XP with office 2003/07 to put everyone on the same page, OS wise and office wise. Where I am lacking is the idea for the server? Other question would it be better to use the current LAN cable that is there or rerun wiring and add new routers ?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's wrong with keeping Server 2003? Since even plain CAT5 will support gigabit connections, I see no reason to spend money unless you experience problems. I'd probably consider evaluating the layout, since you mention multiple routers, what are they all doing?

You need to map out what you have currently accurately, determine what deficiencies you'd like to address, and then you can plan the new architecture. What works and what doesn't with the current configuration? Are you really going to buy 30 new computers all at once? How is the office wired, do all the cables come to a common wiring closet, or are there routers and switches scattered around the building?

3. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

The biggest thing that needs addressed is the varied OS. The server 2003 would be ok for the server end of it. I havent been told yet what the plan is for all the boxes. My other question is this: If they do the upgrade to XP, do they have to buy seperate licenses or is there a general business license for the OS? But I will start there with getting everything mapped out and figuring out what runs where and will be in touch. Thank you for all your help!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. JohnWill

Volume licensing is a whole other kettle of fish, but it is possible. Normally, it's only worthwhile in large companies, I don't know if it'll be cost effective for 30 workstations.

If you don't have specific network performance issues, I'd just address the workstation issue first, and make sure there's room to grow with the equipment you select. Then you can start working on other issues in the network.

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Put together a proposal for your boss for the following:

30 XP licenses
    30 Office 2007 licenses

I would leave everything else the same right now. So far as your network hardware goes like Routers, unless you're experiencing problem, I would bother replacing them just yet. I would also create a deployment scheme for the OS's and Office installations to make your life a little easier.

7. JohnWill

Must be an echo in here. ;)

8. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone that has answered and I will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

9. JohnWill

Let us know if the boss chokes when he sees the price to upgrade the workstations! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice