1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lan vs Wan - "the battle for connection" :)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrdarq, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrdarq

mrdarq Thread Starter

hello all,
    just a quick question i regards to LAN and Wifi connections
    is there any way in XP to automatically disable the wifi connection when a LAN connection is plugged in?
    for some reason some of the laptops at our office do it and other don't.
    The laptop seems to get confused when it is connected to both and can't access any of the servers
    any ideas?

thanks, Hamish

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want to automatically disable the Wide Area Network when a Local Area Network is plugged in? I don't understand; could you explain more what you mean by that?

3. mrdarq

mrdarq Thread Starter

it would help if i actually used the right terminology, sorry i meant wifi :eek:

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I think he means on the laptop as in with 2 connections up, the laptop does not know which one to route out of.

What you can do is make a hardware profile, and have one profile with just the wireless connection enabled and wired connection disabled, and the other would be the opposite. You can then choose on boot up which one you need.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably the only purely automatic way would be to write your own utility that could monitor connections and make the desired changes.

If the laptop has integrated wireless a brute force way is to turn the wireless off.

Another way is to go into Network Connections, right click on the connection, and choose 'disable' or 'enable' as desired. Maybe similar results could be achieved with a batch job using ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That's a good point. My friend's work gave her a toshiba tablet notebook, and that has a switch on it to turn on/off without having to go to Network Connections. :)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While both will be active, I think the default routing with XP will give the wired connection preference.

8. mrdarq

mrdarq Thread Starter

i think your right, most laptops here seem to use the LAN option when it can, but others don't they just idle until on of the connections is removed,

thanks again,

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never had one twiddle it's thumbs with both connected, they normally function. I can't say if every one I've tried used the correct connection, but I have a couple of machines with wired/wireless connections, as well as a couple of laptops, and they all work the way I described.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice