1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN/WAN acting strangely

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charlie Brown, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Thread Starter

My net has been weird lately. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll give it a try.

About a week ago when my parents came into town I started noticing some strange lag spikes. I didn't think much of them at the time, as I assumed my brother was just downloading something. A couple days later I noticed that I could no longer access the computers on the local network (I don't check the network very often). I could see them, I just couldn't actually access them. That was bad enough as is, then I noticed something else. Whenever I would download something, the download would hang and never complete. The download would stop at anywhere from 200k to a few megabytes. I'm still able to download on bittorrent just fine, but that's probably due to the fact that they split the download into small pieces. As I mentioned earlier, this effects gaming as well. It comes in the form of long painful lag spikes that happen frequently.

Misc info:
    1. 3 of the computers are running Win2k. The 4th computer (which came on the network roughly the same time as we started having problems) runs Win98. I'm not sure if it was before or after, but it was around that time.
    2. Linksys router (wired) roughly 5 yrs old.
    a. I've bought 2 new routers. Both had the same network problem. Neither of the new ones could get an IP from the modem.
    3. Of the 4 computers on the network, 2 were on around the time the problem was first noticed. One of them was the Win98 machine.
    4. The Win2k machines have no problem accessing the Win98 machine, however the Win98 PC still has the downloading problem.
    5. I run Norten Antivirus and Spybot (both updated). None of the other computers had either installed (sigh). Roughly 7 viruses were found on one of the Win2k computers. This scan was done after we started having problems.
    6. When I tried connecting a computer directly to the modem, it had no problems downloading.
    7. I have a raDSL connection.

ps
    I apologize for mentioning bittorrent in my post. I know there is a rule against mentioning it, but I found it important to include it in my post.

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

So you can see the other computers? In my network places right? Can you ping any of the computers? are you all on the same work group? Do you have permission's set correctly to allow access? WHen you try to access another box what is the error? If you disconnect all the other computers do you still exp the lag?you have a DSL connection? what kind of DSL modem do you have?

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Thread Starter

So you can see the other computers? In my network places right?
    I can see them in my network places, but I can't access them.

Can you ping any of the computers?
    I can ping all of them.

are you all on the same work group? Do you have permission's set correctly to allow access?
    We are all on the same workgroup. All permissions have been set properly and I'm using the right name/pass for each computer.

WHen you try to access another box what is the error?
    The error message is something like "cannot find the computer." The exact message I don't know off-hand. I'll get back to you on that.

If you disconnect all the other computers do you still exp the lag?
    I've tried that. Even if only 1 computer is on the network, it will still behave the same way if all of them are on the network.

you have a DSL connection? what kind of DSL modem do you have?
    I have rate-adaptive DSL service through Verizon. I'm using an old Fujitsu Speedport modem (one of the 1st DSL modems Verizon used).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice