1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN/wired connection can connect XP TOSHIBA laptop but won't connect VISTA HP laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leiyah, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

hi please help me i can't figure out what's wrong with my hp dv6 laptop (vista 64bit). i have a broadband connection witch doesn't require username and password. i'm using a LAN/wired connection. my problem is when i use my hp laptop to connect internet it won't connect me but giving me limited connection. but when i use my toshiba (xp) laptop it will connect me and can access internet. so i thought maybe something's wrong with my hp laptop or its LAN Card. Then the other day i went on a vacation and tried my hp laptop to their internet connection and i was surprised that it worked both wired and wireless. now i don't know what's wrong and i don't know what to do with my own internet line and with my hp laptop. i did that ipconfig thing and here's what i got:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : leiyah-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
    et NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-8B-DA-31-BA
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d42f:dafe:675a:9b65%11(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.155.101(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Windows\system32>

my TOSHIBA laptop can connect getting 192xxx IP address while my HP laptop won't connect getting a 169XXX IP address

2. Cheno1115

Cheno1115

Make sure that your settings in the ipv4 connection are set to auto, for the IP and the DNS. You should get there by going to the properties of your Realtek Netowrk adapter.

Hope this helps.

3. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

it is set to auto but giving me 169xxx instead of the 192xxx IP address

4. Cheno1115

Cheno1115

It is not connecting to your gateway (as the space for your gateway is blank). Try resetting your modem and/or router and see if that helps at all.

5. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

i did it many times but still no connection. i called my ISP and they said the line was good and that 3rd party might blocking me from connecting (my line works with my TOSHIBA laptop that's why they said i'm getting a good connection). but i tried my laptop with other ISP and it works fine.

6. Cheno1115

Cheno1115

You have right clicked the network symbol in your system tray and clicked "Diagnose problems" Right?
    Post the results of that here.

7. Cheno1115

Cheno1115

A router only gives you an IP that is not 192xxx when either you have it set to get a specific ip instead of being set to auto.. or Your router is set to give you a specific IP (such as your Hp computer being set to DMZ in the router).

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure your router's Dhcp server is enabled (you know it is if your other computers are getting a dynamic IP configuration).

Make sure, by testing with another computer, that the router LAN port and the cable are good.

9. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

i dont have a router. i connect the LAN cable directly. dhcp server is enabled and when i connect the cable to my other laptop it connects fine getting a valid IP but not with my HP laptop)

Diagnose result "there might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer" i tried all the repair suggestions but still no connection. i checked the adapters in device manager and it's properly working

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you remembering to power cycle (unplug for at least 30 seconds) the modem when switching computers?

11. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

yes i do. is it possible to get the ip address from my old laptop and put it in my new laptop?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The IP address is not something that is stored, it's dynamically assigned. The fact you're not getting one is telling you that the computer has a problem.

13. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

i tried my laptop to other LAN connection (other ISP) and it connects fine. it just won't connect with my own ISP. but my LAN (own ISP) does connect to other laptop except from my hp laptop.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you were able to connect at another place, apparently to a router, it may be that you have a non-Windows firewall or security suite that is configured to trust private IP addresses (from the router) but not public IP addresses (from your ISP/modem).

15. leiyah

leiyah Thread Starter

i did a system restore to check if everything will be okay again but still no connection. so my laptop is good as new and only have the software that comes with the computer like norton internet security. what should i do so i can get public ip addresses?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice