Votes: 4 18.2%
  • don't care

• do care, but don't know

Lance Armstrong - did he, or didn't he?

33K views 393 replies 18 participants last post by  .16787 
#1 ·
Most tested athlete in history, never turned up a positive test. Saw a poll on espn.com that had 7k votes, and had it 51% for, 49 agin......which is pretty dang close.

Anyhow, decided to toss a poll up here, just to get the 'tsg' flavour du jour. It will be a public poll, and if you want, please feel free to justify (or, in some cases, rationalize ;) ) your vote. I'm obviously voting 'agin' as he's simply been tested SO many times, and nothing ever came of it, that he's either clean as a whistle or crookeder than Nixon, and I don't think anyone can be that crooked. Lousy logic, I know, but I gotta use what I got.

#3 ·
that he's either clean as a whistle or crookeder than Nixon
methinks that really of pertinence is that he's a lot cleverer than Nixon.

Not only in having the best dope (best not pertaining to best performance yield but to best untraceability), but also the best strategy of concealment, all the way up to corrupting officials.

Nobody who's won the Tour de France in the last twenty years did it on Spaghertti, you don't dope you don't get a bike. Doesn't matter what the officials say, that's the business and it's a big one.

But if you'd found a means of effectively taking all the dope from everybody, I still think he'd have won most of his victories. He's one of the most outstanding athletes even without the crap and pair that quality with an outstanding intelligence generating flawless strategy in all fields and what you get is exceptional.

#6 ·
Should have add another option: Don't Care.:)

#8 ·
Should have add another option: Don't Care.:)
That would be correct. But the thought of you posting in a doping thread just creates a sense of surrealism that's tough to shake........;)

BTW, any maroon who would dump the absolutely gorgeous Cheryl Crow needs to have more than just his titles stripped, if you know what I mean. :p

#11 ·
I voted "no", because there was not a third (I don't know) option.

I plan to post some thoughts on this later when I have some more time.

Good topic, BTW. :up:

#13 ·
added a couple options, if you guys see anything else that may be interesting, float it and we'll go from there.

#15 ·
if I figure out how to edit the poll, I"ll change it. But don't hold your breath; don't even know how to make it public.

what did you pick, btw? I'll manually change it.

#17 ·
hey, wowzer, we all have opinions. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to vote.......if you don't wanna, you don't haveta. :)

IMO, I do disagree with you about his being greedy.......think he's just uniquely talented and EXTREMELY competitive. Which, of course, makes a great argument for the 'yup he did' part.

#18 ·
hey, wowzer, we all have opinions. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to vote.......if you don't wanna, you don't haveta. :)

IMO, I do disagree with you about his being greedy.......think he's just uniquely talented and EXTREMELY competitive. Which, of course, makes a great argument for the 'yup he did' part.
I dunno, I'd love to have the money he makes from endorsments/advertizements. I do agree about the competitive part, kinda why I added the passionate part.

#19 ·
Yeah, I'd love to have the cash as well.........BUT..........I don't feel like riding a bike for that long to make it. :)

#22 ·
back from the cardiac unit just thinking about all that peddling... ;)

Pretty tough to tell these days, the doctors that treat/take care of, the sports "heros" are getting pretty clever. In my opinion it's tougher on the testers to identify some of the "things" they come up with.

I could guess that he did but beat the system ... but... itidbe just that ... a guess.

#23 ·
I honestly don't know which way I'm leaning on this. I'm a bit skeptical of junk (as you may have noticed) so I have a hard time stating that Armstrong didn't just get away with it........I mean, look at the last 15 years of cycling; looks like a cheech and chong flick.

However, I've seen a lot of biometric crap on him, and he's like the Phelps of cycling; he just has a body that is preternaturally disposed towards that type of aerobic workout......and by quite a distance.

#25 ·
Ok, I finally get to return to this one. The New Lean in Corporate America is killing me...:cool:

Two stories...

My brother has always been a good athlete. We grew up near Walnut Creek Country Club, and my brother moved there on the course. He has played that course since he was a kid, and was right at a par (or a little below) golfer.

A few years ago (John Daly was in the top 50 at the time) the golf pro called my brother to tell him John was coming to play Walnut Creek. He had never seen the course, stepped onto it, and in my brother's words, he tore that course up. He 'laid up' like my brother had never seen. John played that course two levels above anyone else my brother had ever seen.

A friend of mine (and IT techie geek, BTW) is an avid cyclist. He got the opportunity to ride the Tour de France course (not to compete). He said there were bikers in their group that he did not feel worthy to hold their water bottle. Their best times still were not anywhere near the requirements to enter the Tour De France. Enter Lance Armstrong. :)

I just find it interesting to observe the 'thinning of the herd' so to speak as they move up the pyramid. So if you take the top 10 bikers in the world (based on previous competition times and rankings), is Lance Armstrong enough better than them to beat them more than 50% of the time? I'm inclined to say "yes".

Is he doping? Don't know. But I will give a man (or a woman) the benefit of the doubt; until proved otherwise. I think once in a while people are that good at what they do. Tiger Woods doesn't dope.

Now... enter Pudge Rodriguez. I'll admit extreme bias here; I think he hung the moon. Was he doping like the rest? Don't know. I would like to think he wasn't.

I could certainly "understand" (but not condone; ever... ) doping in baseball. Take 20 guys who have been playing the game all their life, similar body build, same bats, same distance, same pitches. How do you gain the advantage over the others??

That "advantage" translates to money; and sometimes lots of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.