1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lap dark screen, but seen with a flashlight

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vickerstam, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickerstam

vickerstam Thread Starter

I was replacing my sons laptop screen early this year when all of a sudden i could nolonger see the screen and it would not display on an external screen. i got so fustrated i set it to the side and never fixed the problem. Well it was just my luck i dropped my lap top and broke the screen a few days ago, while diasimbaling my lap top i decied to try and connect the new sreen i bought for my son's lap top to see if it was the backlight or some other issue.

My son's laptop is a HP G71-349 with a 17" screen, my laptop is an acer 15", to my surprise when i pluged the hp screen into my acer it came on and worked, not with perfect color of course due to drivers but it work. Now how do i figure out what is wrong with the HP, when it boots up to the start screen i have to shine a flash light on the screen to see anything, it nolonger allows me to see the screen on an exteranl monitor, i have replaced the screen and all cables. I have reviewed the mother board and do not see anything obvously wrong and total at a lost as to what to try next... any hep would be apprishated.

:(

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

It sounds like the backlight is no longer working on your son's computer. If it is not an LED backlit screen, it sounds like it could be your backlight inverter. This is a small circuit board that takes the low voltage 12 volt DC and converts it to a high voltage (low current) AC to power the backlight (sorta like a fluorescent tube). It's possible that it could be a few other things, though, such as a lid switch (when you close the laptop it engages a reed or magnetic switch to signal the laptop to turn off the display) or some sort of wiring issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice