1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lap Top Time & Date with new OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tat2, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tat2

tat2 Thread Starter

Hello and thank you in advance for reading about my headaches!

I have a Toshiba Lap Top 1135-S155 that I purchased brand new about 3 years ago. Of course it came with OEM software. XP home and I upgraded to SP2. I spent a lot of time removing all of the "fluff" and installing what I wanted. I am one of those guys that like to experiment with different software, trying to find a better mousetrap, as they say. In the last 3 years I must have installed the OEM disks about 10 times. Then I'd spend a few hours getting rid of all the fluff and loading what I wanted. I didn't really mind but it still was a pain.

Now I received my income tax money and with it I purchased Windows XP Pro. To be safe before I installed the new OS, fluf free, I used a freeware program called WinDriversBackup which is a utility for backing up your Windows system driver files and also all non-MS drivers.

The install went pretty smooth and only a few times did I need to insert the cd with the drivers on it that I had previously copied. I loaded all of the software I use on a regular basis and all is still just fine. I'm very happy I don't need to use the OEM any longer and spend hours "weeding".

There is one situation though. The clock in the tray every few days displays the wrong time and when I hover over the time, in the pop-up window it displays the wrong day and date. ???

For further clarification after the installation I right clicked the "My Computer" icon selected properties and then selected the tab marked Hardware --> Device Manager. All is fine with the exception of some audio drivers which I directed to my "drivers CD" and the drivers were accepted and all was fine.

However, I also had two "unknown devices" under the device named batteries. Unfortunatly I am having trouble finding the drivers or what ever it is they are looking for. Some of the folders with drivers in them that may be logically to me are labled "System CMOS-real time clock" "System timer" "Microsoft Composite Battery" & "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery". None of those worked.

As a workaround I simply disabled the both of them. The system has no problem running on batteries or on AC. When running on batteries after an expected amount of time I heard the system beep, every once in awhile. Simply by plugging in the AC solved that problem and the battery started to charge again, just like expected. For about 1 month now I've been running error free but this still bugs me. I really don't like disabling something that is there for a reason.

Finally I'll get to the gist of things. I feel it's still not right having to disable those two unknown devices. When I enable them I get the following error messages:

Windows could not load the installer for Battery. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.
    (only option) OK.

Failed to uninstall the divice. The device may be required to boot up the computer.
    (only option) OK.

To me it is clear that I have missed something especially since the time and date changes when I feel shouldn't be. I like being in sync with the rest of the world.

I know this has been rather lengthly but I did the best I could with explaination.

Is there a way to fix this, what am I missing?

Thanks again.
    Art

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Hey Art. There are two batteries in the laptops. One is the usual power battery which is
    normally about 3 inches wide and 5 inches long. The other one is a lithium battery which
    has a seperate enclosure, might be a small door on the bottom of the laptop. This
    battery is the 'time battery'. Lasts about 3 to 5 years...

3. tat2

tat2 Thread Starter

Thanks ekim68, since my extended warrenty is over with I'll dust off the tools and see whats under those screws.
    Art

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice