1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laplink network

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wrendp, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrendp

wrendp Thread Starter

OK,
    I have 2 computers and am trying to set up a cheap "network". I dont want to spend a lot of money, and dont need anything super fast. I just want to be able to move files from one pc to another without using floppies. I bought a "Laplink cable" 25 pin connects to the printer port (not a 1-1 connection). I was told Windows has the software built in. Computer #1- laptop Win 98se, Computer #2-Win ME.

Computer #1- I went through the "direct cable connection" program in windows. When I clicked the file share program. Pop-up window network is not complete, then went into the Configuration program. I did Add. Client. i found all the files except "Imscript.exe" and "Imscript.pif". It didn't finish the install, and now everytime I restart the computer I get,
    "A device file that is specified in the SYSTEM.INI file is damaged .... may need to reinstall the software that uses C:\WINDOWS\system\vnepsup.vxd press any key to continue". After I press a key, the computer works, but I still cannot link the 2 PCs together. I don't know how to uninstall what I did, or finish installing the Client. I can't find the Imscript file on the Win 98 disk, or the C drive.

Any suggestions?
    Dave

2. angel

angel

Do you mean vne<b>t</b>sup.vxd? Is that the only file you receive the error in?
    I had this problem a couple of weeks ago with Windows 98SE (though more errors) and followed the instructions found on Microsoft's site for the problem in 95 (worked fine for 98).
    I first ran System File Checker (Start>Run, type sfc) and that grabbed some of the files I was missing.
    Then...
    Assuming vnetsup.vxd is the only error you are getting, go to Start>Run and type regedit. If you are not familiar with backing up and working with the Registry, please let us know. In Registry Editor, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Services\VxD\vnetsup and delete the StaticVxD key in the right pane.
    You will need to remove/reinstall the correct network components (ie. the Client).
    Give it a shot and post back with any errors or messages you get.

3. wrendp

wrendp Thread Starter

Thanks Angel,
    You are correct. It is Vnetsup.vxd. No I am not familiar with updating the system registry. I did run the SFC and scan for altered files. It found setupx.dll in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM as "file may be corrupted" it gives the option to restore file from installation disk.
    Should I try that, or try the system registry as you posted?

Thanks

4. angel

angel

I would do both. Run SFC and let it extract the file off your OS CD. Then go into Registrry Editor, choose Registry, Export, choose ALL and let it export your registry (this is because you are not familiar with the Registry and accidentally removing/changing the wrong thing could be very, very bad). Once exported, follow the path listed above, find that key and delete it.
    I can't remember if I had to reboot after that or not...
    You will also need to go back to your network properties and remove/reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks. When it wants a location for a file, make sure you are pointing to your OS cd or to c:\windows\options\cabs if OS came preinstalled.

5. wrendp

wrendp Thread Starter

OK,
    I guess I'm doing this wrong. I can't seam to find setupx.dll on the Win 98 se disk. I even did a manual search and could not find it. The only place I was able to find it was on the C drive. (the corrupted verision) should I go ahead with the registry or try and fix this first?

6. wrendp

wrendp Thread Starter

Angel,

You are SUPER !! I was able to rescan (SFC) and find the Setupx.dll file on the Win 98 disk, for some reason it would not find it from the D:\ drive, I had to go into it folder by folder and research. After that I edited the registry as you indicated (I have to admit I was a little nervous) and the computer works as it did before. Now I will just have to rethink how I will link the two PC's together.

Thank you So Much for your help.

David
    Alabama, USA

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice