1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop and Dr.Pepper spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flagstealer, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flagstealer

flagstealer Thread Starter

Earlier this morning dr.pepper spilled all over my laptop. AT first it was fine ( should have turned it off immediately) but then the screen went black and eventually the power went off. Since then I have taken everything out, dried all parts, and tried to turn it back on. The power is now on but the screen is completely black. I noticed when i took the keyboard apart there was a wire coming out from the screen thats not connected to anything. Not sure if thats a problem, but im just putting it out there. Please give solutions on how to fix it! Obviously if it can go on its not completely fried

2. flagstealer

bump..anyone? ill be out 500 dollars :(

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just taking out the parts and drying them is probably not enough. The motherboard and probably the keyboard may need to good soaking and rinsing with warm water and then allowed to air dry for a day or two.

Somebody here may be able to help with the unconnected wire if they knew the brand and model number of the computer and had a better description of the wire (color, approximate diameter, an connector on end, etc.).

FYI, expecting an answer within an hour and a half is expecting too much around here. We are all volunteers and help when we can.

4. Hughv

Hughv

I dealt with this on one occasion and found that the soda had permeated far past the keyboard and there was no hope of repair.

5. flagstealer

Im sorry for being impatient, I just have heard that the most important steps to saving a laptop "spill" is within the minutes after. Even though mine was hours later im probably running out of time before it does not even turn on anymore. Im going to bed now but tomorrow I will post some pictures of all the parts, the disconnected wire, etc. Stay tuned.. thank you

6. flagstealer

Here are some pictures and a brief description

Laptop 1- Shows the general laptop with the lights on and running

laptop 2- This is the disconnected wire I was talking about. Even though its hard to see its coming out of the computer screen and just hanging there. I can see it because i took apart the keyboard.

Laptop 3- Thats a more general view of the location i was talking about above. The disconnected wire is left part of the screen

Laptop 4- Thats just a picture of the hard drive, horrible quality though :mad:

Laptop 5- Theirs a picture of one of the RAM sticks I took out

Attached Files:

7. flagstealer

Laptop 6- Shows a part of the motherboard at the bottom left, really bad quality but I wanted to point out the thing on the top right ( with the vents). I notice that whatever is inside it is not running ( maybe a fan, idk). Is there any way I can get to that part and see whats going on or can someone explain what that is?

Please help, thanks guys

Attached Files:

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The advise that you need to act within minutes refers to taking out the battery and pulling the power cord. If you do that, there is a good chance it will work again after cleaning and drying thoroughly. It took 1-1/2 weeks before my son's laptop would turn on again (it took that long for the keyboard to dry).

9. flagstealer

yeah i know, but my brother told me not to touch anything, he wanted to save his data so he felt he would never get it on again if he turned it off. What should i do now after looking at those pictures? Just let it dry ( to me the Dr.Pepper is really sticky). Anyone know whats up with that wire?

I honestly feel just being patient and trying to turn it on in a week will not do ANYTHING. The screen will not just magically turn on.

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I can't tell the model from your pictures, and you didn't specify the model, but it looks like a dv9000 or similar. That would mean the unplugged cable is probably the video connector. HP has free service manuals available online in PDF format, so you should get one. I expect the laptop is dead. Letting it run while soaking wet probably doomed the machine. But, you've got nothing to lose by following the cleaning instructions already posted.

On the bright side, you can pull the hard drive, connect it to a USB drive adapter, and possibly recover the data stored on it. If that fails, I'd try shifting the blame to your brother for his bad advice. This model range has all sorts of hardware problems, but since you've already fessed up to the soda spill, you've blown that excuse. Good luck:D

11. K7M

K7M

Follow the instructions for cleaning as posted above. As far as that connector on the left I would say it is the video. follow the link I posted and look at the pictures very carefully to reassemble. I have a Toshiba that took a bath from the Fire dept and it is still running. It took a long time to dry out from the fire, and 4-5 hours to clean the smoke & soot off of it but it has been running for the last couple of years.
    http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv6500-dv6600-dv6700-dv6800-notebooks/

12. flagstealer

So how do you re connect the video connector? By the way the laptop is an HP pavilion dv 6910 so in the 6000 series.

13. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

14. K7M

K7M

Looking at the link from Snagglegaster gave you, that looks more like the connector belongs on the power board. It's hard to tell from your pictures.

15. flagstealer

Yes i have located that it goes on the power board but its impossible to be placed back on, i tried placing it on, snapping it in but nothing works. Should i just buy a new screen? Or get a professional to fix the laptop? Because at this point I feel that the laptop is working ( the power goes on and stays on). My brother already got a new laptop so this one would become mine, so im definitely interested in fixing it (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice