1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop and Routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sherwood1947, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherwood1947

sherwood1947 Thread Starter

Sherwood1947, I would like to get a laptop and router so I could play games in other rooms of my house. I have a desktop Hp Pavilion 8665C with Windows 98Se. Pentium III 600MHz, 30.0 GB, 128MB, and CD-RW. The laptops I see have XP and I don't understand to much about what I have to do , too get this router and laptop to work or even what I need. Any help will be welcome, but I am still having problems with this web-site to know which buttons to push to get where I need to go to answer or post messages. Thank you for your time. :confused:

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi sherwood1947

Do you have TechSupportGuy forums saved as a favorite?

All browsers or ISP softwares have this feature, which may be called Bookmarks.

That's an easy way to get back here. Up at the top of the page, if you are using Internet Explorer, you see the Favorites tab, open that and you see a list with "Add to Favorites" up at the very top...hitting that will put this site or any page of any site, as a favorite in this list BUT it puts it way down at the end of the list....this may be something you can handle for awhile, but after time you will have just a huge list....so there is also a way to Organize your favortites by making folders, right in real time on the fly, as you surf...take a look at the things Organize favorites has, and practice...
    Perhaps you will need a Networking folder, put a shortcut to this thread there, and any pages you are given in the thread to help you with shopping for, understanding, or to read about getting a router etc to network your pcs.

I have this site saved to open here:

http://forums.techguy.org/index.php?s=

From there, you can see all of TSG's forums, and select the one you want by pressing it's name on the left, right now you are in the Internet and Networking division, and in the Networking area... where this post is.
    After a day or so, depending on how many posts there are to all the threads in any given forum, your post, if not answered, sinks down in the pages....you may come back to find it on page 5, there is nothing we can do about that...but it will not "disappear", and you can find it...by looking back through the pages till you find your user name and your thread.
    An easier way is check at the User CP> its your own special settings and info area....it is found by using the UserCP button at the top of every page (not every thread or post) Open that and you will see your list of subscribed threads.
    Go to any thread you ever posted in> and at one of your threads or posts, click on your User name (sherwood1947)
    and then scroll down so that you see the Forum Info area on the left....all your posts you have made or posted to are listed there. It will bring up a list, look through that and you can always find previous threads you either started or posted replies to. I hope this helps. I am sure you will get some advice about networking in here, just by looking through the posts....they contain a lot of helpful links that will show you other pages to read about what you need.

3. sherwood1947

sherwood1947 Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. Byteman, you are always so helpful. I am having trouble locating the e-mail notification and the area to deleted the first message I had about the e-mail problem I had Aug 15, 2004. I know these are dumb questions but I am having problems following the directions I printed about Reading and Posting Messages from Tech Support Guy Forums. I think this thread thing is another thing that I am having problems with. Are there threads with branches of thread going off the 1st thread?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice