1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop and USB port freezing!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe77, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joe77

joe77 Thread Starter

Hello everybody!
    I have 2 issues to solve:
    1) Sometimes my laptop (Acer Aspire 5738G running W7 Ultimate SP1 x86 as OS) suddenly frezees (mouse, keyboard etc.... no longer work), although all drivers in my machine seem to be perfectly updated.
    2) Another issue is that my system does not often recognize both my USB flash drives and my external HD, forcing me to reboot it whenever this glitch occurs, despite USB PORT drivers appearing once again to be updated.
    The problem is that whenever I try to copy or move a file on my Flash Drive or external drive or just perform a Virus scan on them my system 9 times out of 10 freezes and does not recognize any other portable devices I plug in unless I reboot Windows.
    Both my motherboard and HDD should be OK because if I do the same things in SAFE MODE all the problems mentioned above vanished, meaning my machine never freezees.
    Please note that I bought my laptop from a guy who had changed both HD (from 250 GB to 500 GB) and OS (from VISTA to W7 Professional), then I installed W7 Ultimate edition. So could the above issues be somehow related to this?
    Maybe my laptop has now a BIOS with an old firmware and this could be the cause of both issues: what do you make of it? Did anyone have the same experience?
    So a possible solution could actually be to update my BIOS (so called BIOS flashing), but I understand that it's a very tricky operation.

However I've just found these free tools for that:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013909

But maybe I'd better use this FREE CD bootable edition: is that right, dudes?
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-74984

Ever tried one of these free tools ?? If you are aware of a good tutorial about flashing the BIOS, please just le me know...ok?

Here are the tech details about my BIOS and Motherboard:
    - BIOS
    Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
    Version V1.05
    Date 03/20/2009
    Starting Address 0xE549
    ROM Size 2MB
    - MOTHERBOARD
    Manufacturer Acer
    Model JV50 (U2E1)
    Version 0100
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model PM45
    Chipset Revision 07
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801IM (ICH9-M)
    Southbridge Revision 03

Can't wait to hear from you!!

Bye for now

2. Simba7

Simba7

Ok..

1. DO NOT use another manufacturer's BIOS tools. This is one good way to brick your system.
    2. Why are you running a 32bit OS on a 64bit capable laptop?
    3. What BIOS version are you running?

3. joe77

joe77 Thread Starter

Hi!1
    Sorry for delay but I was out of town.

1. So how can I update my BIOS for free? The official manufacturer of my BIOS leads to a program which is NOT FREE! Can I do it manually? If so how?

2. Where did you see that it's 64bit capable laptop? I bought it from a guy who had installed W7 Pro 32 bit, so I thought it was jus a 32bit capable laptop. Do I better install W7 Ultimate 64 bit?

3. BIOS - Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD Version V1.05 - Date 03/20/2009 (see also above).

Wait for your feedback!!

EDIT!! Yes, to my great surprise, it looks like my laptop is 64 bit capable (my CPU supports hardware D.E.P but the processor's advanced hardware support for virtualization is locked off).
    So I was wondering why the guy who sold it to me last year had installed W7 Pro 32 bit!!!
    As matters stand, do I better to install W7 Ultimate 64 bit? If so, how can I replace the 32 bit version with the 64 bit one?

4. Simba7

Simba7

5. joe77

joe77 Thread Starter

ah ok...so I should install W7 64 bit version....problem is that most of my apps stored in my PC are not compatible with 64 bit.How about the BIOS update issue?Could my problems be somehow related to canned air?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

6. Simba7

Simba7

In Windows, you can run 32bit apps in a 64bit OS. I've been doing this for years.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You do not need to Move to a 64Bit version of your OS. Your 32Bit version will be just fine. That will save you having to pay for a new operating system.

8. Simba7

Simba7

Wait.. You have to pay to switch from 32bit to 64bit? I always used the existing key or contacted the manufacturer.

Yes, 32bit will run just fine until you upgrade to 4GB or higher.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The only way to upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS is to do a clean install. And being that this is an Acer computer I doubt seriously that it came with a separate OS Installation disc. Hence a 64 bit copy of windows would have to be purchased.

10. Simba7

Simba7

You do know you can get the Windows 7 ISO's directly from Digital River. Although, I'm not sure if all OEM keys work with it. It worked with mine.

Dell has the links to the ISO images. http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...fficial-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx. Just fetch the correct image (probably Home Premium), burn it, and punch in the key on the bottom of your laptop or case when it asks for it.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I checked the bios updates for your laptop, none of them address the issue you are having. That being the case updating the bios can brick your computer if the bios flash fails, so I would not recommend doing the flash.

As far as the virtual machine part goes, I have to laptops that have processors that will support Virtualization, yet the System does not support it. There is a work around for that though, I got it from MS. I will try to find the link for you if you need it. The only reason I needed it was so that I could run XP Mode in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice