Laptop as 2nd monitor via HDMI cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stealthz

I had my laptop connected wirelessly as an extended display monitor. HOwever, it was quite laggy. I now have the laptops hooked up via HDMI cable, but they are not regonizing one another? I went to display and clicked "Detect" but it fails to detech. Is there a certain setting I need to change? When I hook up my laptop to the TV via HDMI, it detects immediately, with no change in settings.

Thank you

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The HDMI interface is not a two-way interface, you can't link them with that cable.

Stealthz

What would be the best alternative to what I am trying to accomplish?

Couriant

James
You are not able to use the laptop screen as an external monitor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Linking the two laptops would be faster if both were wired to the router with gigabit connections. Still probably not like a real monitor, but maybe usable.

Stealthz

SO I understand, there is no way to link my other laptop as an external display with an HDMI cable? I thought by having a wired connection instead of connecting the displays wirelessly, it would be much faster. WHen I connect to my TV via HDMI cable, it is perfectly responsive. Since I already have the laptop, I'd rather not buy another monitor, if possible to avoid and get the same result. If not an HDMI cable, perhaps a hub to connect the displays?

Couriant

James
Most, if not all, laptops do not have an input port to use the LCD screen. There is no real world use for that.

A hub/dock will have the same issue, you will need to connect a standalone monitor.

cwwozniak

Chuck
WHen I connect to my TV via HDMI cable, it is perfectly responsive.
That is because the TV has one or more HDMI inputs that can accept incoming video and display it on the screen. The TV has hardware specifically designed to do just that. As others have said, most modern laptop computers have an HDMI output that can send video to a device that receives it. A totally different set of hardware is needed to accept incoming video as compared to sending video. You can't just simply reprogram an HDMI output with software to make it work as an input. The same applies to HDMI outputs on a dock.

managed

Allan
If price is an issue you can get used older monitors very cheaply on Ebay, especially 4:3 aspect ratio ones.

Stealthz

To be clear, there is no way to simply connect my other laptop as an extended display, without the lag? A second monitor is needed?

And if so, what accessories/cables are needed to use the second monitor as an extened display?

Thank you

cwwozniak

Chuck
To be clear, there is no way to simply connect my other laptop as an extended display, without the lag? A second monitor is needed?
Correct on both items.

And if so, what accessories/cables are needed to use the second monitor as an extened display?
If you had successfully tested an HDMI connection from the source laptop to a TV with an HDMI input, that same HDMI cable connection will work with a monitor with an HDMI input. If the monitor you choose does not have an HDMI input, you will need some type of adapter cable or video converter to go from HDMI to whatever kind of input the monitor uses.

Couriant

James
No, there is no practical way to use your laptop as a second monitor.

Depending on what the source of the video will be, you would need to match it. Typically HDMI would work the best.

I don't think we asked, what did you connect to your laptop wirelessly to get the laptop screen to produce?

Stealthz

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question correctly. Nothing was connected in order to project my laptop display onto the other laptop. I simply projected my extended screen on there. The problem is it is not responsive, and it difficult to quickly input and export data from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online