Laptop as 2nd monitor via HDMI cable

Couriant

James
OK, so you were going from one laptop to another. So you may need to purchase a cable if the monitor does not come with one. There are adapters/cables that will change from HDMI to whatever you may need on the monitor if that did not have HDMI also.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Correct, projecting it to the other desktop over the network incurs all sorts of delays. Probably not an issue for a support person, but if you want to use it as a second monitor, it would be super annoying! :D

Stealthz

So an hdmi cable hook up to a second monitor would be ideal. In this care, where would the audio come from? The seond monitor, or laptop?

cwwozniak

Chuck
It would depend upon if the monitor had built-in speakers and if they could play audio coming through the HDMI port. Beyond that, the Windows sound control panels would have settings to determine if the laptop's speakers are used or if audio goes to the HDMI port.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
So an hdmi cable hook up to a second monitor would be ideal. In this care, where would the audio come from? The seond monitor, or laptop?
Audio would come from the laptop, I have connected HDMI monitors to a number of laptops, I've never had audio come with the HDMI connection.

If I connect my ASUS VE228H monitor up to my laptop using an HDMI cable I can select the audio output to go to it instead of the laptop's speakers. However, I don't use that option very often for two reasons: 1) the audio quality is poor and 2) the volume is low for the monitor's speakers.

HDMI Audio.jpg

Stealthz

Related issue with this. When I do wireless connect my laptop to extended dispkay to my other laptop, most of the time the audio comes from the extended laptop. However, sometimes there is no audio at all. What is the cause and fix for this?

Stealthz

Following up with this - Why when I am wireless projecting one laptop to the other, the sound doesn't work? This is a thing that sometimes the sounds does work, but lately it has not been. How do I fix this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online