Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop as 2nd monitor via HDMI cable

1K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Stealthz 
#1 ·
I had my laptop connected wirelessly as an extended display monitor. HOwever, it was quite laggy. I now have the laptops hooked up via HDMI cable, but they are not regonizing one another? I went to display and clicked "Detect" but it fails to detech. Is there a certain setting I need to change? When I hook up my laptop to the TV via HDMI, it detects immediately, with no change in settings.

Thank you

#4 ·
Reactions: cwwozniak
#7 ·
Linking the two laptops would be faster if both were wired to the router with gigabit connections. Still probably not like a real monitor, but maybe usable.

#8 ·
SO I understand, there is no way to link my other laptop as an external display with an HDMI cable? I thought by having a wired connection instead of connecting the displays wirelessly, it would be much faster. WHen I connect to my TV via HDMI cable, it is perfectly responsive. Since I already have the laptop, I'd rather not buy another monitor, if possible to avoid and get the same result. If not an HDMI cable, perhaps a hub to connect the displays?

#10 ·
WHen I connect to my TV via HDMI cable, it is perfectly responsive.
That is because the TV has one or more HDMI inputs that can accept incoming video and display it on the screen. The TV has hardware specifically designed to do just that. As others have said, most modern laptop computers have an HDMI output that can send video to a device that receives it. A totally different set of hardware is needed to accept incoming video as compared to sending video. You can't just simply reprogram an HDMI output with software to make it work as an input. The same applies to HDMI outputs on a dock.

#13 ·
To be clear, there is no way to simply connect my other laptop as an extended display, without the lag? A second monitor is needed?
Correct on both items.

And if so, what accessories/cables are needed to use the second monitor as an extened display?
If you had successfully tested an HDMI connection from the source laptop to a TV with an HDMI input, that same HDMI cable connection will work with a monitor with an HDMI input. If the monitor you choose does not have an HDMI input, you will need some type of adapter cable or video converter to go from HDMI to whatever kind of input the monitor uses.

#14 ·
No, there is no practical way to use your laptop as a second monitor.

Depending on what the source of the video will be, you would need to match it. Typically HDMI would work the best.

I don't think we asked, what did you connect to your laptop wirelessly to get the laptop screen to produce?

#15 ·
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question correctly. Nothing was connected in order to project my laptop display onto the other laptop. I simply projected my extended screen on there. The problem is it is not responsive, and it difficult to quickly input and export data from there.

#16 ·
OK, so you were going from one laptop to another. So you may need to purchase a cable if the monitor does not come with one. There are adapters/cables that will change from HDMI to whatever you may need on the monitor if that did not have HDMI also.

#17 ·
Correct, projecting it to the other desktop over the network incurs all sorts of delays. Probably not an issue for a support person, but if you want to use it as a second monitor, it would be super annoying! :D

#19 ·
It would depend upon if the monitor had built-in speakers and if they could play audio coming through the HDMI port. Beyond that, the Windows sound control panels would have settings to determine if the laptop's speakers are used or if audio goes to the HDMI port.

#22 ·
If I connect my ASUS VE228H monitor up to my laptop using an HDMI cable I can select the audio output to go to it instead of the laptop's speakers. However, I don't use that option very often for two reasons: 1) the audio quality is poor and 2) the volume is low for the monitor's speakers.

Font Electronic device Multimedia Screenshot Electric blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.