1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop auto-shutdown and displaying screwy/wrong fonts even during start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by transpose, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. transpose

transpose Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have got a Dell Vostro 1400 laptop that has been giving me a headache... It is more than 3 years old and came with Windows XP pre-installed. I ran Win7 (legitimate copy) on it for awhile (about 4 months) without any problems, then suddenly it would die while in Win7. Things like system shutting down by itself and freezing when displaying videos were common. Then it started showing “Memory Parity” errors. I tried swapping RAM modules but to no avail.

So I re-installed Windows XP with SP3. Installation was smooth and driver installation was in order. It ran ok for about a week before auto-shutting down again. Now it even screws up the screen during BIOS loading (when the Dell logo and progress bar shows) and when loading Windows (please see attached photo for crazy fonts/capitalisation during Windows Restore screen).

I am now running Ubuntu from it without installation (i.e. booting and running from the CD) and am encountering no problems whatsoever.

The Dell BIOS diagnostics would run while I was running Win7 and report no errors, so I’m trying to assume that there’re no hardware errors. Perhaps the photo might be telling to you experts out there.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

Try to boot from the window 7 Disc and run the Memory Test Program from there.... If it pass.... I think may be teh build in Video card Issue.... I see similar error in Desktop... The video chip have problem ... it work ok without load the driver ... but whenever you load the driver .. it cause problem...

Did this problem happen in safe mode?

3. transpose

transpose Thread Starter

Hi there Sonexpc, thanks for your reply! Have not tried the Win7 Disc's Memory Test yet... would try it this weekend. I too suspect a GPU issue, and for a laptop with built-in graphics and is just over the 3-years warranty mark that would be unfeasible to fix eh?

I have tried Safe Mode once or twice and it ran alright, however the latest problem occurs even before Windows fully loads (I even see distortions at the Dell boot graphics!), so I'm just trying to confirm here if it's a hardware problem.

Only thing holding me back from junking this laptop is that Dell's own hardware diagnostics report all systems go, so I'm still hoping... will try the Win7 Memory Test though.\

Thanks once again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice