1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop battery discharges when running on AC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by videocheez, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. videocheez

videocheez Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba P25-S509 laptop that's a few years old but still runs pretty good. The problem that I having now is that it seems to only run on battery even if the AC adapter is plugged in. This is one of those 10lb giant laptops that was marketed as a desk top replacement. That was a joke and I fell for it.
    I get about 50 minutes of run time and have to be religious about recharging. I purchased another adapter/charger and a new battery and the problem still exists. Strangely enough however, once in a while I'll see the charging light come on while it's running and i will think that my problem is solved but it doesn't last for long. If any one has any advice on how to fix this situation I would appreciate it. I may have to get a new laptop and I can assure you that it will not be a Toshiba. I would also appreciate any recommendations on a good reliable brand.

Thx in advance,

VC

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It does tend to suggest a hardware / motherboard fault.

The desktop replacement laptops have a desktop CPU in them rather than a mobile version, with all the heat that goes with it. Never a good idea.

As for Toshiba as a brand, I currently have 2, they are the only ones (since 1989) that have stood the test of time and have not had hardware failures.

But your mileage may vary...

3. videocheez

Do you think I should try to update the MB BIOS?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have a problem with the DC jack on the back of the laptop or the circuitry on the mainboard thats responsible with charging the battery. Is the jack loose?

Also does the laptop run if the battery is not installed in it?

Updating the BIOS doesn't seem like a good idea if it doesn't run on both AC and battery at the same time, some BIOS upgrades require both to be working for the update to even occur. And if it use to work fine then its unlikely its a bug that can be fixed by a BIOS update.

5. videocheez

I dont think it's the jack. I tied to start it up with out the battery. It almost starts. You can here the fan turn on for about 100milliseconds and then it just dies. The green AC power available LED is illuminated but it wont start with no battery and just AC. What if reinstall windows?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it won't turn on then it doesn't have anything to do with Windows.

7. videocheez

any other diagnostics that you suggest?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I can't think of any diagnostics to run, but a problem like that seems to indicate the problem is with the mainboard or charging circuits in the laptop and thats not good as it requires a new board or professional service.

9. videocheez

I was afraid that you would suggest that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice