1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop battery draining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaptainCorelli, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaptainCorelli

CaptainCorelli Thread Starter

Hi,

All of a sudden my laptop battery seems to be draining very quickly.

From fully charged to dead in 20-30 mins. It also seems to charge 'fully' in a very short time.

Is there some sort of process running things down or is the battery just too old and worn out?

Im running Windows 10 64 bit. Toshiba Satellite L775.

I did the attached battery diagnostic via commad prompt if this helps...

Any advice, much appreciated.

Thanks

CC

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The report says the battery charges to about 18% of it's capacity when new, so it's nearly worn out. This is consistent with the behaviour you mentioned. Unfortunately the only cure is a new battery.

3. CaptainCorelli

Thanks managed. Seems odd that performance literally dropped off overnight though. Could that signify anything else, virus or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite L775-18F (PSK3SE-0CD002EN)
    It originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

A laptop battery doesn't last forever.
    There are several places on-line that you can buy a replacement battery.

Maybe this might help:
    Tips for saving battery life in Windows 10

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    That is odd. Is it possible it was getting worse more slowly but you didn't notice until now ?
    If it only charges to 18% there's not much you can do but try leaving it switched off but with the charger plugged in overnight to see if charges more than 18% then.

6. CaptainCorelli

Yep I tried that last night. I'm stumped. If the battery is just worn out and needs replacing fair enough, just suspicious that it dropped off so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. valis

valis Moderator

how old is the battery? If it's the original, it's cooked. They are just a chemical reaction, after all. You could try letting it totally discharge and then recharging it, but IMO, it's time for a new one. I've an old vista laptop that if I don't keep plugged in on the desk dies in about 20 minutes flat. I've just not gotten around to getting a new battery.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

When you get a new battery make sure that you condition it properly.
    http://computertutorflorida.com/2010/11/how-to-break-in-a-new-laptop-battery/
    I do recommend several cycles, but after the first one as in that article the following ones can be just normal use without the mains. Heat is the biggest destroyer of batteries so a slow discharge/recharge is better than a rapid one that generates a higher temperature.

Many people say this is not needed with new batteries nowadays, but it does make a difference to the life of the battery and the life of the battery (sic)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice