1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Battery Reset/Restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricEye, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricEye

ElectricEye Thread Starter

Hi, guys!

I am in need of some help here. Mine is a Compaq Presario 2100 series Laptop, and I've been using it since it was new (some 3-4 years ago). My battery pack provided me with up to two hours of power, of course, depending on use, and open applicaions, until about two weeks ago...

These past two weeks it has been behaving very strangely: it began marking 100% charged, but provided with about only 30 mintes of power... this week it came down to 10 minutes; tday I couldnot get it past 4 minutes. It doesn't even has the power necessary to hibernate or suspend.

... I understand battery's normal wear and tear, but I use it with a lot of care: I discharge it fully at least once a week, I calibrate it using a Batery Optimizer tool... and I believe this reduction in power capacity is not normal; but rather excesive; I had an older laptop (Texas Instruments) which lasted with me for some 5 and a half years, and the battery could last for an hour and a half by the time I sold it...

The Compaq Presario battery has a power indcator built on it, and it shows 5 leds which lite green, yellow, or remain off, depending on the charge. When fully charged, this gauge will lite in yellow (meaning low charge), on the first led, and green (indicating full charge) on the other 4 leds.

I believe this is an indicatr of the battery stuck on charging maybe only one cell, and leaving the others empty. Another indication for this is that it used to take a long time to charge, and now it shows CHARGED in a matter of minutes...

II'd be more than grateful if you could tell me wether or not is it possible to reset/restart the battery, and if so, how do I do it.

Many Thanks!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The only way to reset the "memory" on the battery is to completely drain it.
    Unfortunately,draining it once a week has probably worn it out.
    Should only drain it when it shows signs of not fully charging.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice