Laptop battery running out quickly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aroominyork

I have a Dell D400 laptop, bought used about a year ago with two batteries - both of them Lithium Ion 9T119. I run the laptop on mains more than on battery. The batteries used to run for over two hours, but now they only last 30-45 minutes. Is there a way I can find out whether they have come to the end of their life and need replacing, or whether something is wrong with the laptop that is making them drain quickly? The fact that both lost started running low quickly at around the same time makes me wonder if it's the batteries or something else.

If the answer is that I need to replace them, are cheaper generic batteries (off eBay) good value, or should I stick with paying Dell's prices?

Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
From the description, I'd suspect the batteries. It's not good to leave the batteries in if you run all the time on A/C power, the higher temperature will shorten the life of the battery.

I'd try one of the generic models and see how it works, cheaper than buying the Dell one. :)

Testing a battery requires a procedure on a workbench so I won't get into that; however, there are too many dangerous batteries with manufacturing defects to trust an ebay dealer whom you know nothing about. That's just my opinion.

I recommend you stick with a reputable dealer whom you know and trust. There are after-market batteries that cost less than those from Dell. I don't know what Dell gets for their batteries; but, if it is in line with other parts they sell, you'll do much better elsewhere.

Here's one place; but, you'll have to be the judge of prices and availability.

http://www.laptopbattery.net/

i had this problem, 1 method to get your some life back into the battery is to retrain the batters to hold more,

recharge it and totaly decharge it, repeat this several times and u will notice longer lifetime out of the battery, my dad is an electrical engeneer and he told me about this trick and i was suprised that it worked, my time went up from 20 mins to an hour, so i was a bit more happy,

oh and if you are diong this you are best to do it in bios, just hit the "pause/break" key when the bios screen appears it will pause the bios and no power saving scheems in windows will cause your pc to sleep or hibernate due to low bettery,

hope this help's

Mad4Mp3z

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online