1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by member, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. member

member Thread Starter

My 4 month old laptop has a 10 volt 8400milliamp lithium ion battery. If I use it one day and it is fully charged and then switch of until the next day it will take about 30 minutes to charge up again.Is this normal. I have discharged and recharged several times as specified by the manufacturer but this makes no difference. I run solar power at my house and am trying to conserve energy. It runs OK without the battery so could I remove and store it so it lasts longer and how would I leave it, charged,completely discharged warm, cold, frozen. It is not a big problem but one I would like to find more about.

2. doggard

doggard

A fully charged battery left inserted a laptop will normally tend to lose about 7% of its charge per day [read that somewhere cant remember where] so after a week it will usually require a recharge to work on battery for any sustainable time.
    There is sometimes a battery conditioning application in the bios which can help recondition the battery if it is of an age but as with all batteries the full charge will slowly begin to lose its effective run time.I think the usual recommended lifespan before a new replacement is required is around 3 to 5 years this is not to say they will not last longer just that their charge rate will not be as good as when new.
    If you remove the battery it should retain its charge for however long you leave it within reason [a few weeks/months].
    The manufacturers website should be a good source of data regarding battery care and storage.Personally Id recommend having two and swapping them around every week or so to extend the lifespan of the batteries as much as possible.

A quick google gives: FAQ on Laptop Battery Products
    Lithium-ion battery care

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

4. member

member Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help on li-ion batteries. I went to the site you suggested and I will discharge to 40%(I guess by using the computers power monitor) and then store in the fridge.I cannoy see any reason to keep it charged if I do not use it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice