1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop BIOS Password Reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by draxxis, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draxxis

draxxis Thread Starter

Ok before I get with my problem, here is the info about my laptop:

A-Open Model 1848 (I think a sub-company of Acer, don't know)
    P4 3.06GHz processor with HyperThread Technology
    1GB SDRAM
    (2 512MB Chips Max)
    60GB hard drive
    XP Pro (SP3)
    802.11G wireless
    Motherboard: K3V MB 03241-1M 48.43G03.01M

Here is my problem:

This is the 2nd motherboard of this system that I've had.. The 1st motherboard is bricked because I was doing a BIOS upgrade and it didn't take so it is now shot.. This motherboard I bought off of E-Bay from a genteman in Florida.. The issue is that the BIOS is password protected and I don't have the password.. When I was buying this motherboard, the gentleman said that he too did not know what the password was.. He just buys laptops and parts them out.

I've tried calling the A-Open tech support, and also the State of Missouri Department of Insurance.. The reason I called the 2nd company is because there was a sticker at the bottom of the case that had their name on it.. A-Open tech said that there was no way to reset the BIOS password without having the one that was put in there.. Hence me calling the State of Missouri Dept. of Insurance.. I'm still waiting for a return call from them becuase I left a voice mail on their Tech's phone, on January 27th, 2009, stating who I was and how I came to getting this item that had their sticker on the bottom.

I've looked all around online and have heard of "backdoor passwords" that are the master passwords that allow you to bypass whatever was put on by the owner.. None of them had worked (BIOS, CMOS, PHOENIX & phoenix).. I also tried leaving it blank and hitting enter and that too did not work.. I did try to unplug the CMOS battery and even that didn't work at all.. Plus the fact that it had been unplugged for a week anyways when it was sent to me.. I know that it isn't a password that is stored on the hard drive because first off, the hard drive I'm using didn't come along with the motherboard I'm using.. And second, I've swapped out different hard drives and still am unable to get into the BIOS.

The system loads up Windows just fine on both hard drives (one I'm running XP Pro and the other I'm trying out Windows 7).. I just cannot press the F2 to get into the system settings at boot-up and make the adjustments so that I can run the processor as a Dual Core, like with my other motherboard, nor make the adjustment to allow the WiFi to come on automatically at the boot of the system, and also to adjust the graphics settings.

I'm at my wits ends.. I really hope that someone can help me out here.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

3. draxxis

draxxis Thread Starter

It's not bypassing the password, it is resetting it.. And I'm running out of areas to contact.. I got a hold of the Missouri Dept. of Insurance and talked to a person directly there.. She told me that once the computers and laptops are taken out of their loop, they toss all the information about them away.. After she told me this, I told her that it isn't a good thing just to toss out all the info about their previous systems right away in case something happens that there is some important information on the old systems that they forgot to retrieve.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

It is a case of bypassing- a reset is a subset of Bbypassing. It enables access to a system without using the original password.
    On my motherboard, removing the battery does not perform a reset. There is a jumper switch that also needs to be pushed to perform a full reset. :)

5. draxxis

draxxis Thread Starter

I've looked around for a button or a jumper to reset the system, but I am unable to find one.. There is a small black box next to where the CPU Cooling Fan connects to the motherboard, that has 4 dip switches, all toggled in the OFF position. If I were able to get a manual of the motherboard, I'd have it and know if I could reset the system.

But the A-Open/Acer tech support's only help on this is "we can sell you another motherboard, that doesn't have a BIOS password, for $420.00.. I think you know where I told that person where to stick it.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Laptop passwords can only be reset by an authorised service agent, when presented with proof of ownership.

For all you know the laptop could be stolen.

It gets even worse if the hard disk drive is also password locked, as some laptops transfer the password to a new drive as well.

Given the high rate of theft of laptops, the convention among manufacturers is to make it VERY hard to bypass laptop BIOS passwords. Did it ever occur to you that the "seller" could be parting them out for a good reason, in that their source of origin is dubious?

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sorry, we cannot assist with forgotten or bypassing passwords.
    Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

Closing thread.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice