1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop blocking internet access to all other devices

Discussion in 'Networking' started by huwb85, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huwb85

huwb85 Thread Starter

Hi guys hope you can help,

I am having a problem with the devices on my home wireless network. There is a laptop, desktop, PS3 and an Ipod all of which access the internet through the wireless network, a few days ago however I was unable to connect to the internet with the desktop. It had been fine all day but then I left it and came back to it an hour or so later and was unable to get back online after having tried all the usual restarting of devices. I gave up and went to have a quick game on the ps3 to take my mind off all the work i was now unable to do and found that that too had lost its connection to the internet (also was fine earlier) checked my Ipod touch to see if that had access and neither did that, but in the background the girlfriend was obliviously typing away on facebook or something with no problems at all.

The next day all was well again everything had access to the internet so I just forgot about it and carried on with my life (as you do). However the day after that I had exactly the same thing again, I was using the PS3 online no problems. Girlfriend comes in and turns her laptop on so I disappear onto the PC to do some work and no internet connection again, check the PS3 and Ipod, also no connection only my girlfriends laptop is fine.

So....it seems to me, in my limited wisdom in such matters that, if I turn my desktop on first (before girlfriends laptop) and connect to the internet then all is well, but if she gets to the internet first then thats it for all other devices, no internet connection until that thing goes off? As I write this for instance both computers are on, only this one was on first (this is the desktop btw).

I have contacted my ISP...three times, hoping each time to get someone with an increased capacity for logic, but unfortunately they will only give me pre scripted responses, two of them narrowed the problem to my network adapter in the desktop (probably) but because its a belkin card (which they are not trained to discuss, presumably meaning there are no autocues for it) I should buy a network card from them that will be "more compatible probably" to fix the pc problem, they then informed me (sarcastically) they cannot tell me how to configure the playstation and ipod :rolleyes:. When i ask them why then if i turn the laptop off do all devices start working they just put me on hold and seem to wait for me to hang up, I cant take anymore conversations with these people, so thought I'd put it out to you guys the real experts ;).

Thanks guys

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm going to move this to Networking from Web & Email.

What is the brand and model of the router?

Please show the following for

a. The desktop when it has internet access,

b. The laptop (if it is running Windows) when it has internet access, and

c. The desktop when it cannot access the internet.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice