Laptop Booting Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pandar

Hi, I am posting for my cousin.
His laptop custom built stopped booting today. Sometimes it will boot and sometimes it will not boot at all. The lights, cd tray, and fan boot but the no screen pops up, no bios/splash/windows.

His specs are
512 MB ram unknown ram atm
ATI 9700
AMD Athlon 3100+
Windows XP Professional SP2
40gb 5400 rpm unknown brand atm

He is going out to buy a screwdriver that will fit into his case properly. His laptop will sometimes boot properly but sometimes it won't boot at all, and when it boots properly it would freeze after a few hours of use. He tried letting his laptop rest for 15mins, booted up fine then froze after a few hours of use, and tried booting it up after 2 hours but it did not boot up. He speculates the problem is ram related, guessing probably either his ram is dying or a ram slot got fired, he did not suffer any kind of power failure/power surge.

Has he pulled out all major components I.E. HDD, RAM, CD-Drive (if its removeable), battery and unplugged it from power then hit the power button for a few seconds then reseated all of it and tried turning it back on? Has he ran memtest on the machine if the RAM is suspect? THat would tell you right away if your barking up the right tree.

I have had laptop problems with processor problems do the same thing as what your decribing though and if thats the case neither of the 2 things i mentioned will work.

Does this laptop not have some kind of diagnostic partition to check individual components and if they are working or not?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online