1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Boots to a blue screen OR sticks before Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nsimister, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nsimister

nsimister Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I have looked at the forums for any previous probs like this but maybe i can't see the woods for ther trees??

I have a laptop, which was working fine. It now wont boot. I get the options to Boot to last Know configuration - this desn't work, just brings me back to same page.
    Boot into Safe MOde With Networking or Safe mode - these two get a little further. A list of drivers being installed appears, but then it sticks and does nothing!!

System restore does not work

Sometimes a blue screen pops up With a *** STOP error message and then it sticks on that.

ANy suggestions about where to start with this......i have a hammer and a blowtorch if that will help :confused:

Thanks for any help
    Neil

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Be sure to let it stay on the driver screen when loading in Safe Mode for a couple of minutes at least, before giving up.

When you get the Blue Screen, note the Stop message parameters, and especially the driver file if mentioned.

Do you have an XP CD that can be used for a reinstall?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

3. nsimister

nsimister Thread Starter

Hi there

Well....not long after i posted the thing went absolutely pear-shaped.
    I found 2 system recovery discs and opted for a repair, but it re-installed XP and i lost everything else, data, progs etc, that i had on the laptop!!! :mad:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply though.
    I think the hammer and blowtorch might just come in handy anyway...i think i will get me a new one, this crappy Toshiba has already had 4 Motherboards fitted. It must have been a Friday Afternoon build!

All the best
    Neil(y)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What happens when you use a vendor recovery disk is dependent on their options -- usually a "repair" doesn't cause loss of data. Sorry to hear that.

Better luck in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice