1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop boots to White Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Calstar, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calstar

Calstar Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    The other day while using my dads laptop, i closed the screen, and on reopening it, it displayed a blank white screen.

I turned it off and back on again. It seem to be booting normally until it was time for the desktop to load, at which time the white screen returned. It boots in safe mode and i tried a system restore, which was unsuccessful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

Go back in through safe mode, disable Hibernation in your power management settings, and then look for and delete a file called hiberfil.sys.

Restart your laptop and hopefully it will spring back to normal - however you will lose what you were working on as it went into hibernation.

Microsoft have produced a fix for the Hibernation bug somewhere, if you need to use Hibernation that is.

Please try this at your own risk, as you may have to restore/reinstall XP if it doesn't work. Backing up vital data is important.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice