1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Broke

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jobomaphoy, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jobomaphoy

jobomaphoy Thread Starter

Hiya, My laptop was cutting out whilst I was in the middle of essays, movies etc and so I was advised to re-boot the system.
    I followed the instructions and as I was carrying out the "windows destruction" via the 'Techguys' program.. the laptop cut out.
    The stage I was up to was it had re-installed vista and was finalising the installation (?)
    Now, when I turn the laptop on, it says "Bootmsg missing, press ctrl + alt + del" and when I do this, the same thing happens.
    It is an E:System laptop
    Intel celeron 530
    1.73 GHz
    1024MB 80GB
    Windows Vista
    what else do I need to put on here?

Please Help!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm not sure what this program does, but it sounds like you where re-installing all your software ( I hope you had a backup of any data )

The cleanest thing to do would be to re-install vista again

the problem will be if the laptop cuts out again, clearly theres a hardware problem here - can you describe Cut-out more
    do all the lights go out on the machine, are all keys dead - ie caps lock, does that light up if toggled anywhere ??

3. jobomaphoy

Yeah I'm half way through something and all the lights will go off and the screen will go black.
    Will I have a disk to re-install vista? Will it have come with my laptop do you know? I'm not sure whether I did but I suppose I could buy one if it means my laptop will work again lol.
    And yeah I have a backup of my files thank God!
    I will try and find a way to install vista again and then let you know if it cuts out again!

I'm just wondering.. because I cannot get any further than a black screen with "missin bootmsg...." on .. would vista be able to install from there?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry i'm confused

You said
    so i assumed you had re-installed vista

lets Backup

The machine stops, all the lights go out
    1) Was the battery reporting full charge ?
    2) Was the machine plugged into the mains
    3) make and model of laptop
    4) How old is the laptop
    5) Whats
    - you may have been supplied a full vista CD with the laptop - very unlikely
    - You may have been supoplied a recovery CD with the laptop - more likely
    - the recovery may be on a seperate part of the harddrive and access is via F10 or other key, which if the machine is faulty will not help
    - a retail version of vista I think is around £120

5. vistanoob18

vistanoob18

I hope you didn't make the mistake I made and believe the disc that comes with your laptop is the actual vista disc. That mistake cost me $180 and 2 weeks of not having a computer because my desktop has been down for a year.

6. jobomaphoy

Well it had re-installed vista according to the installation progress thing but I think because the laptop turned off half way through the finalisation of it, nothing worked or somethin is missing, ("bootmsg is missing")
    I can't find the recovery disk if I was to have received one so looks like I'm stuck with the PC :( !
    1)the battery was saying low charge
    2)the machine was plugged into the mains
    3)laptop is about 11 months old
    4)Well when I pressed F8 as the laptop was starting up, a program came up from 'the techguys' and i could repair the laptop according to that.. and as it was uninstalling vista, reinstalling it and then finalising it, the laptop switched off and now, by the looks of it, nothing was installed, but everything was uninstalled.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the laptop, they may have a recovery partition

F8 when booting should bring up the safe mode menu

I have no idea what the TechGuys means or what the program does

if the laptop is 11 months old then it should still be under warranty - so it would be worth calling the manufacturer before it runs out and get it repaired

leave the battery on charge - it should go to full charge - a light on the machine somewhere - should change colour when fully charged

under vista - they may have been a message to create a recovery DVD / CD when you first run the machine

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice