1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop 'buzzing' cd drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackmesa, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just bought a brand new Sony Vaio S3HP (good price, too), and so far, am very pleased with it.

However, when I play some cd's, the drive/fan(Does this machine have two fans?), becomes quite noisy and makes a buzzing sound.

This is only with a few select cd's, and most other cd's run smoothly.The discs are clean and in good condition.This is puzzling to say the least. Has anyone got any suggestions, or has anyone experienced the same problem?

Cheers

Rob

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Yup. Cd's can become noisy if the are slightly warped. Sometimes on my lappy, I can hear the disk 'scraping' the plastic case of the drive, because it is warped.

Scorp.

3. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Scorp,
    Thx for the reply!
    I don't think the cd's that i'm trying are warped, but i'm going to have a closer look.
    The cd's that are causing me problems, I may just rip and burn to cd and see what happens. Or, I may just go out and buy second copies to see how they perform! Will let you know...
    Cheers!
    Rob

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes you will find that some CD's will be noisy usually cheaper brands or sometimes 2 or 3 from the same tub.....not something to be concerned about unless they all become noisy

5. Blackmesa

Blackmesa Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply, Bonk.

By 'cheaper brands', did you mean cdr's? It's just happening (so far) with proper cd's that i have bought.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

well I meant all types of CD's whether CD-r or whatever if the're cheap then the disk will of low quality.
    However if it persists get in-touch with seller and get it checked out.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Those small form factor CD-ROM's do tend to be noisy over time. Since a lot of them are removeable they are not secured very well in the main case and tend to buzz.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/407652