1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop can only connect to router if security is off

Discussion in 'Networking' started by firefoxsilver9, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefoxsilver9

firefoxsilver9 Thread Starter

I have a D-Link AirPlusXtreme G DWL-G650 Wireless network card and a Trendnet 432brp wireless router. Recently the laptop i have the wireless card in won't connect to the router. I check the router's log and it doesn't show any connection attempts from the laptop. I did a troubleshoot and disabled security, which allows the laptop to connect. I had it on WPA before and it worked perfectly. just came out of the blue. When I use Windows XP Home to connect to the network, a dialog saying "Waiting for the network" comes up and hangs for about a minute and then windows just gives up with no error message. I tried doing a network repair, winsock repair/reset, ran chkdsk and now i'm running the SFC /scannow command. I also tinkered with the router's channel, antenna power, and i also reinstalled the card's drivers from the CD. thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Download and install the latest driver from D-Link's web site.

Are you using the D-Link utility or XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) to manage the connection? Are you sure the other one is not running?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice