1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Cannot Detect Built in Display

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gordonmadis, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordonmadis

gordonmadis Thread Starter

Hello!

For the last week and a half the built in display on the Windows 7 HP Pavilion dv4i laptop which I purchased a few months ago will not display anything but a black screen. There is power to the screen, which stays illuminated and flashes during the correct transition times between the hp screen, the bios wait, and the windows start screen, but there is no interface or video whatsoever. I can get the video to display on an external monitor using VGA once the Windows login screen pops up, but that means I can't use my laptop as a laptop or see to access the BIOS. It is possible this is a problem with the CMOS preventing the laptop from recognizing the screen (also on one boot the date was defaulted back into January of 2009), and I have ordered a new CMOS battery to see if that is the issue.

However, there is enough going on to convince me that might not fix the problem due to a software issue. There was one prior reboot since the problem started where the screen worked, but on the next boot it was broken again. In the device manager the computer only sees two Generic PNP monitors (one of which is the display that does not respond) instead of their proper handles. In the display options I get the external monitor (a HANNS-G labled properly) and then the option for a VGA output monitor, which I can turn on but it does not change the laptop's display. The other issue is that I have the HANNS-G monitor plugged in via VGA, so it makes no sense that the computer would see another VGA output when that output is already being used for the only monitor it has recognized.

I have tried system restore to before the issue occurred, defaulting to the last windows update a few days before the problem occurred. That changed nothing. I tried startup repair, which tried to do a system restore and then crashed. I reinstalled the display drivers and BIOS flash with new versions more than once. That did nothing. I reinstalled the drivers again, and this time the ATI driver crashed and burned when it tried to install and I had to turn off the computer after it froze. It says the driver is installed correctly when I go to reinstall, but now in the computer properties it does not list my video card and I cannot activate the Catalyst Control Center which allows the driver to use the card.

This computer has a quirky switchable graphics setup where I can save power by switching between the Radeon and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator that runs off the processor. Usually you can just click into the menu to switch the graphics, the screen will flash off (this crashes any playing video and makes your desktop background disappear indefinitely) and the other graphics setup will run. Right now it is stuck on intel. For some reason I suspect that this wonky setup is somehow responsible for my screen issue, but right now I am pretty lost.

Also, just to clarify, when I got the computer I reinstalled windows 7 with a clean copy to get rid of the bloatware. The reinstall went fine and it has worked well until now. I activated the Administrator account and changed that to my name. I've been using that account since then even though it was not the original account (my name) I installed Windows with. I have had two Trojans which were blocked by my antivirus programs. I have kept up to date with drivers, windows updates, anti virus updates, and other maintenance like defragmenting the drive. I am a pretty heavy computer user and regularly use many different programs at the same time, but I know how to use my computer carefully.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my problem!!!

I also did a HijackThis log if that is helpful:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 1:07:51 PM, on 6/2/2010
    Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Gadwin Systems\PrintScreen\PrintScreen.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicDisc\MagicDisc.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCtrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Google Talk Plugin\googletalkplugin.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ThreatFire] C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Gadwin PrintScreen] C:\Program Files (x86)\Gadwin Systems\PrintScreen\PrintScreen.exe /nosplash
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: MagicDisc.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicDisc\MagicDisc.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to &Evernote - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote3.5\enbar.dll/2000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Add to Evernote - {E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E92528A6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote3.5\enbar.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to Evernote - {E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E92528A6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote3.5\enbar.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
    O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_2de1c36a1775397a\AESTSr64.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_2de1c36a1775397a\STacSV64.exe
    O23 - Service: ThreatFire - PC Tools - C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 10869 bytes

2. joeten

joeten

Hi at 4months in this should not be happening and you have done a lot of troubleshooting already,If it where me (and it is not) I would be on to hp or the retailer and have them sort it

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

How much time elapsed between the new install of W7, and problem onset?

What changed?

What's the temporal relationship between problem onset &
    ?

HOW, exactly did you wipe out the bloatware? Which DVD did you use; from HP; 1 you created? Did you re-format the HDD?

Does that mean the display works part of the time?

If so, boot to safe mode.
    edit: What happens if you boot to the W7 DVD?

If that fails, I'd follow joeten's suggestion. :)

RF123

4. gordonmadis

joeten,
    I spoke to HP and they are the ones sending me the CMOS battery. If that doesn't work I am sending the computer into them. However, I am trying to avoid backing up everything and spending two weeks without a computer which would be pretty devastating, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

rainforest123,
    I reinstalled W7 as soon as I got the computer. I got it in March, and this problem started about a week and a half ago. The trojans were a couple months and then a couple weeks ago but they were blocked before they did any damage.

I wiped out the bloatware in the install of windows since I did a clean install, nothing from before I bought it (like the hp bloatware) was on there. I used a ISO utility to burn windows to a disk (http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool) and then I activated the new install using the key on my laptop.

I have booted to safe mode multiple times to no avail. When the screen flashes, it just goes between a lit black screen and a non lit screen. What I meant is that in the same places where the video signal would go in and out (between the hp logo screen, and the windows loading screen) it still flashes. That indicates that the screen has power and the computer is trying to use the display.

I have not tried booting to the Windows 7 DVD, but my expectation is that I won't have video for that interface since I don't get any video until the VGA connection activates and displays the Windows login screen on my external monitor, no exceptions. I will give it a try though. I'd do almost anything to not have to clear space on an external to backup everything and reinstall Windows though.

Thank you both for your replies!

5. gordonmadis

Also, new symptom:

My webcam and microphone, mounted to the display, both stopped working today. They had been working fine during multiple previous uses but today I was using them and they suddenly stopped responding.

This is starting to look like a connection issue somewhere in the hinges or by the LCD. The connection near the motherboard to the display looks fine, but I haven't taken apart the LCD. I am concerned about damaging the screen or voiding my warranty though so I don't know if it's worth it.

Or it could still be the CMOS, drivers, unrelated issues, or even the OS... Bleh...

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

g :
    After turning on the PC, does the HP splash screen appear? Does the POST screen appear?

I understand your trepidation, but if you have an aux monitor connected, I would [ & this is a guess ] suspect that you will be able to see something on the auxillary monitor.

Not even the HP splash screen?
    WOW!

You can't even enter the BIOS?

bummer that you have to send your HP away.

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice